87 YJ Gearing Question.

Tug-n-pull

1987 YJ 4 banger 5 speed, Question? I was under my jeep on the rack yesterday fixen a gas tank leak. Got to pokeing around and not being very smart and not knowing much about wrench turning as well. I got to looking at my differentials and the front seems to be a Dana 30 ? Does that sound right? Can not find a mark on the rear but looks to be a Dana 35 does that sound right? then I went to the metal tag on the rear to see what gearing that i have and it is in rough shape so I scraced and cleaned it as best I could. I made out 4 11 and some other numbers not able to see very well, so does 4 11 sound like the gears in a stock yj of that year? Now for the biggie when I go to a 31s or 33s am I going to need to change the gearing and if so to what? One other question where will I find the differential breather so I can snorkle both front and rear. I live in a constant state of confushion. Thanks for any and all help. Tug[addsig]

4 bangers nowadays come with 4.10's... so you'll most likely want to change with 33s... as far as breathers... the rear usually has one... but the early yj's i'm not sure of.... you can drill your own breathers out.... you just might have to do some welding to get something to attatch a hose to. [addsig]

Tug, you are correct about the axles and gearing. Your 4.11 gears will do just fine with 31" tires. The vent tube for the D35 (rear), looking at the rear of the diff, on the left axle tube there is a block that the brake lines connect to. The vent tube is at the top of the block, nornally there will be a rubber hose connected to it. The D30 vent comes out of the back of the diff housing (shaft side) (should have a rubber hose connected to it also).

That's what it looks like on a '95 anyways :)

Hope this helps.[addsig]

Back