'88 Wagoneer MPG

JoeG

I have a 1988 Grand Wagoneer. Great truck, but it is definitely a thirsty beast. I've been checking out options to help the MPG. With mostly highway use, I'd like to be able to pass a gas station once in awhile.

My question is this: Would I be better off going with TBI (such as Holley Pro-jection), a better ignition system, or a combination of both? Is there perhaps an AOD option that may be available? Maybe better lubricants in the engine and diff's?

As I said, mostly highway, but periodic ventures into the woods is the plan. Could anyone point me to other options that I've maybe overlooked?

Thanks in advance,

JoeG

Synthetic oils in the motor, trans, transfer case, and the diffs will get you some better mileage maybe 5 mpg or more and a little more horsepower out of the motor. i good ignition will help as well has a good tuneup

I have heard tell that switching over to a 4 barrel carb. will help fuel economy... My little brother's got an '86, seems like he's filling it up practically every day when he's in town driving it, so I know what you mean... He was told this by the guy with the wagoneer at the barber shop... Gotta love that Jeeper networking!

Fuel injection would definitely help your driveability. I don't think anything you do will make a whole lot of difference in your mileage. I mean you are driving a brick (aerodynamically), with a 360, big heavy Dana 44 axles, and a lot of steel. The stars are against you!

Every little bit will help some, but will you ever re-coup what you spend? Fuel injection has to be over a grand, you can buy a lot of gas for that. I think the benefits of fuel injection are worth it, but not for mileage.

Back