88 wrangler won't start!

Paulieophat

I was in my friends driveway and I had it in second gear as a backup for the e-brake. I forgot I had it In second and I tried to start it and it jolted forward. I put it in neutral and tried to start it and it clicked once and then nothing. We the bump started it and it ran and I brought my friend home so I shut it off figuring it would start again. It clicked once and then nothing again. So we tried to bump start and it didn't work. Any ideas of what might be wrong? Thanks

Check the battery connections and make sure they're tight. Check the condition of the battery.

I think the 'starting in 2nd gear' is unrelated unless you damaged the bendix gear on the starter.

I agree with bounty, I don't think trying to start it in gear did any harm, it is very common off road to start your jeep in gear staying off the clutch, so it is a common practice and don't think any harm was done. As bounty mentioned, have the battery checked, auto parts stores will do it for free, and takes about 5 minutes, but you have to take it to them.

As mentioned test the battery but be sure it is a load test that measures max cranking amps or CCA.

Besides the terminals clean the opposite ends of the grounds.

Back