89 YJ DIED w/ no warning. No Start

djemalo

Hi guys! ,
I have researched and literally went through almost all threads with the key term "no start" that matched my model jeep. However i have not found any solutions...YET.

I purchased the wrangler about 3 weeks and been driving it fine with no issues, this wrangler shows no signs of extreme wear and tear on its electrical parts or GROUNDS, everything looks intact. Only thing that has happened was that it seemed to overheat(temperature over 210 once or twice last week, but nothing consistent) suddenly with no warning i was driving and the vehicle shut off. When it died i pressed gas because i figured the carb needed some gas or something but it did not respond to the pressing of the Accelerator. :x

Symptons : No start. It cranks forever, seems like it wants to power on but it doesnt get there. Temperature doesnt matter, Day or night, does not power on.

Things i have checked for : battery (new), most grounds visible under the hood, IGNITION MODULE replacement (a lot of people suggested this in previous threads), made sure it had plenty of gas, Seems to be getting spark since it had a recent tune up, and fuses INSIDE the car.

1989 YJ Jeep has a mechanical fuel pump, 4.2L I6 engine. 5-speed Manual transmission w/ over 180K miles, Carburator.
Brake light + EMISS MAINT light comes on while turning key to ignite the vehicle.

Please guys help me and ill buy you a lapdance or something. lol
BTW Does this vehicle have a ECU? If so where is it?

Did you take one of the spark plugs out and verify that it is getting fire? If one of the jeepacorns has the answer they may require you to personally do the lap dance, are you ready for that?

Did you check to see if you are getting fuel? My 94 give me the fits once. It was the fuel pump that will sometimes work and all of a sudden die. I guess the pump was getting hot and stopped working. Replace it and never had a problem ever since. I hope it will just as easy for you....

I will do the spark plug fire thing. Im assuming i will just pull the wire off a plug and place it near the block (metal) and see if it sparks ? lol no lap dances from me.

And remember i have a mechanical pump. your 94 is different from mine. but i will make sure fuel is somewhat running through it!

I will do the spark plug fire thing. Im assuming i will just pull the wire off a plug and place it near the block (metal) and see if it sparks ? lol no lap dances from me.

And remember i have a mechanical pump. your 94 is different from mine. but i will make sure fuel is somewhat running through it!
Nope,wrong on the spark plug wire , remove one of your spark plugs, have the wire on the spark plug,place the spark plug on a clean bare spot of metal on your engine.Have a friend crank the engine as you watch for a spark . I dont know about your views on the lap dance, it may change if ya cannt get it started.

Nope,wrong on the spark plug wire , remove one of your spark plugs, have the wire on the spark plug,place the spark plug on a clean bare spot of metal on your engine.Have a friend crank the engine as you watch for a spark . I dont know about your views on the lap dance, it may change if ya cannt get it started.
Us guys might even volunteer to dress ya up real pretty for the occasion.lol

hahahaha if yll wanna dress up. im just paying.

But ok thanks for supa fast response, im going to do this as soon as it stops raining!

Nope, wrong again, dont want to see just a little fuel come out of it and think it's fine. That mechanical fuel pump can work for a bit then all of a sudden stop on ya, and then start working again. Leaveing ya confused on what to heck is going on. Take the end that goes into your carb{from the fuel pump] get a clear bottle and stick that end into it,preferably a 12 0z bottle. I forget how long it should take to fill that bottle to make sure your pump is ok,I'm thinking a minute. But none the less you want to see a constant stream of fuel going into that bottle. Good luck bro keep us posted.

Im learning a lot here, Im kind of happy i have a mechanical pump that i can easily maneuver it. I will do the spark plug check and fuel check tomorrow morning!

Im curious, if it did jump a tooth, is this hard to check myself by lookin or turning something? Everything is somewhat easily accessible in the engine bay so i can probably do it myself.
Thank you :shades:

Im learning a lot here, Im kind of happy i have a mechanical pump that i can easily maneuver it. I will do the spark plug check and fuel check tomorrow morning!

Im curious, if it did jump a tooth, is this hard to check myself by lookin or turning something? Everything is somewhat easily accessible in the engine bay so i can probably do it myself.
Thank you :shades:
Hey Bro, you hit a happy spot,comeing here.

it will still run if the timing only jumped one tooth. it will run rough but it will run.

you only need spark, fuel, and air to run your old school jeep (like mine) you know you got air so once you verify the spark, you know you got two of three. before you check fuel through the line, take your air cleaner off and hold the choke plate open on top of the carb and pump the accelerator by hand. you should see fuel squirt into the carb, really thin squirts. if you have that, then you know your pump is pumping.

it will still run if the timing only jumped one tooth. it will run rough but it will run.

you only need spark, fuel, and air to run your old school jeep (like mine) you know you got air so once you verify the spark, you know you got two of three. before you check fuel through the line, take your air cleaner off and hold the choke plate open on top of the carb and pump the accelerator by hand. you should see fuel squirt into the carb, really thin squirts. if you have that, then you know your pump is pumping.
Hmmm Interesting, Ill take the air thing off and pump that Carb, lets see what happens. Im suprised no one has pointed me out to a some sensor or the ECU yet, good things.. :)

Have you checked the timing? Timing chain may have jumped a tooth.
Or possibly the timeing chain just craped out on ya, which is no big deal really, it's not as scary as it sounds replaceing it. If it's not getting any fire, pull the distrubuator cap off. Have afriend crank the engine while you look to see if the roter is turning. If it turns, then it is not your timeing chain. If it dosent turn then it is your timeing chain.

Ok great, i will do that also!
Much to do in the morning then, I would have thought that if there was no cap, the engine wouldnt get fired to turn though, but i been wrong so far lol

Its usually 2 things stop an engine: No Spark/electrical or no fuel. Do the spark plug test as Gennybro noted. Do so in a dim or shaded area so you can see (or not see) the spark. For carburator engines I usually will squirt some gas into the carb and have someone try turning it over, if it sputters or fires up. If it does I usually flow or squirt more to see if it will keep running (done at arms reach with no face hair over carb) as it could back fire. If it does fire, then usually it's a fuel delivery issue: fuel pump, fuel filter clogged, fuel line issue Etc.

Its usually 2 things stop an engine: No Spark/electrical or no fuel. Do the spark plug test as Gennybro noted. Do so in a dim or shaded area so you can see (or not see) the spark. For carburator engines I usually will squirt some gas into the carb and have someone try turning it over, if it sputters or fires up. If it does I usually flow or squirt more to see if it will keep running (done at arms reach with no face hair over carb) as it could back fire. If it does fire, then usually it's a fuel delivery issue: fuel pump, fuel filter clogged, fuel line issue Etc.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you guys. We're onto something here..

Have fire extinguisher on hand, good idea to carry 2 of them. One for a friend and one for you when ya get er readdy for the trails, well heck, I dont even know if your gonna be a trail rider,I'll ask again in about 6 months, it will be around the time of the jeep model compitiyion we are haveing.

Once i get more knowledge about this vehicle i will gain that confidence to hang with the major leagues. lol

This is actually my 3rd Jeep. 1st was Cherokee 2dr, then 2nd wranglers YJ. both lifted and semi-customized(looks only)

Back