89 YJ question

Adioman008

I am finishing up my 4.0 swap and I have to jump the starter to get the jeep to start. I have checked all the fuses and relays and nothing. Tonight I ran a wire straight from the starter and plugged it into the slot on the ignition switch with the wire that is suppose to go to the starter I turned the key and it fired up and ran. My question is will this damage my system. I also installed a push button start can I get ride of the push button start and just run the wire to the ignition switch on the steering column.

I have an 89 yj that had the 4.2 but now it has the 4.0 I swapped all the wiring in the entire vehicle and swapped gauge clusters and speedometer and tach. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
drinks-1.gif

unhook the push button and see if it still starts. if it does, i would just keep it the way it is

unhook the push button and see if it still starts. if it does, i would just keep it the way it is

I unhooked the push button and ran it straight to the starter pin on the ignition witch and the jeep started no problem. my main question is will this effect the electrical system at all or will t be alright ?

i don;t think it will since your wire is just bypassing something that was not working but you can check by turning everything off and removing the key and unhooking hte battery. if you get any sparks or sign of electricity jumping, or even put your multimeter in there and check, but if your get zero or some minute amount because of the radio memory being used, i would not worry about it

Back