93 yj transfer case problem?

streetflea

Recently while driving home in 2wd, I started off from a stop sign and heard a loud pop. It seemed as though I was in neutral. I checked the drive shafts and they were all in place, I had to put the jeep in 4wd to get home. I have tried several times to put the jeep in 2wd, but it seems as though it is in neutral. I'm assuming it is the t-case. Should I rebuild or buy remanufactured? Where is the best place to purchase? Can the t-case be removed without dropping the transmission? I appreciate any advise and suggestions. Thanks

The T.Case can be removed without removing the Transmission. the question on Rebuild Or Replace is contingent on your mechanical skills and pocketbook. I for one would try to rebuild before i consider a replacement. it also depends on the condition of the internal components of the T.case once you open it. if it's got a lot of major parts that needs to be replaced, then your probbably better off buying a replacement for it. i recently ran across a 231j t.case that has a sheared output shaft. with all the components that needed to be replaced ,it was going to be a $1200.00 rebuild. The T.Case is $980.00 brand new at a Dealership. so here's a good example of when to replace ,rather than Rebuild.

Thanks for your answering. Do you have any ideas as to what is wrong with mine? A sheared output shaft? Thanks again

I have not looked at the tag, but I'm assuming it is a 231. It is a 1993 yj, I6, 5sp. Thanks

This is a 272 with a broken output shaft. place all 4 tires off the ground, engage the T.Case on 4WD. Engine not running. If the Trans. is a Manual, place it in First Gear. Turn the rear driveshaft by hand and see if the rear tires turns. if it does and the front isn't turning, then i would look inside the T.Case for the problem. it's likely that the out put shaft is broken in 2 pieces. if the front drive shaft turns while turning the rear driveshaft by hand and the rear wheels are not moving, then check the rear axle..

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 489
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 622
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 2,069

It's a 231 and rebuilding is relatively easy. I have all the parts you may need. Where are you located?

What was the outcome? I think I have had the same problem. 2Hand 4H seam not to quite engage/lock up but 4L does???? I am lost!

Back