95 YJ Shift problems/fluid?

Abutterfly

Hi. My hubby purchased this old beauty a few months ago and is having problems shifting into first and what not. He knows it needs clutch fluid and my question or HIS question is this... there are no marks of any kind on the reservoir... no fill lines anywhere. Inside there is a vertical line but nothing horizontal saying fill to "here". Can we just fill this to the top or what's the deal with it?

Attachments

• fluid2.jpg
    fluid2.jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 30

Fill to the line, do not fill to the top. He'll have to pump the hell out of it to get the air out and get good pedal.

because since the fluid got that low, air compresses differently then hydraulic fluid so when you push the pedal, its going to feel spongy and won;t always move the clutch in and out properly which will give you shift problems. until you get that air out, its going to be funky.

I'd also change the fluid in the transmission, inspecting the old fluid as it drains for brass glitter. Buy some Redline MT90 to put in the transmission, it's a full synthetic that will help smooth shifting even when cold.

Back