95' YJ Transmission

K.13

I'm having some transmission problems, need to drain it, clean it and put some new gear oil in it. I got a '95 with the 4 banger, all stock, stock transmission.
I used to have a stock Xj with a 5 speed, the transmission on it seemed alot smoother, nicer throws.... jsut liked that one alot more. Im wondering, will a transmission off the 4.0 match up with my 2.5? Or is there any other transmission I can for it? Thanks.

The 4.0L transmission will not work without sourcing some rare parts. Your best bet would be to buy some Redline MT90 for it, it's a full-synthetic that really improves the shifting of the AX5 and AX15 transmissions, especially in cold weather like yours.

I used to have a hard time going into 1st gear from a stand still until I switched to MT90... Give it a try before you throw out the transmission. If you DO switch to the AX-15, look online for a parts list (I remember that you need a Dakota bell housing among other things...)

I'm probably best scrapping this transmission rather than dump the oil out and what not. I got a loud ticking noise comming from under the hood.... figured out it's comming from the transmission. Also the gears tend to grind, pretty sure the syncros are shot. So the AX-15 will work along with buying parts to get it too fit?

how do you recognize an AX5 vx an AX15 transmission? thanks.. also, where or how do you put the MT90 lube in (and drain the old stuff out)? thanks again..

The AX15 and AX5 appear very similar, most easily discerned by the engine it's attached to. AX5 was used with the 2.5L and the AX15 was used behind the 4.0L in jeeps. They both have a 1" intermediate plate separating front and rear case halves, the AX5 intermediate plate is cast iron and the AX15 is aluminum.

My understanding is they are NOT direct swaps. The spline counts are different on the input shafts. From what I have read it is a major PITA

Back