97 XJ wiring problems...Parking lights on one side only...

Nooch13

I have a problem with the Jeep (97 XJ 4.0) that makes no sense to me. The parking lights, both front and rear only work on the passenger side. I switched out the bulbs up front and the problem remains the same. Any ideas? I am guessing that a wire is split somewhere or there is an inline fuse that I can not locate? Any ideas???

seems odd that it would be on one side. I had the fronts go out and it was the plug under the air filter box. I don't know about the rears, but if one front has power, they both should. They connect into one wire in that plug I had trouble with. The back would have to be a separate problem.

Electrical problems are the worst! You need to get a tester and start tracing the wiring to the lights.

I was going to run a jumper wire from the drivers side to the passenger side to see if that would work, sounds like it will anyway...

ALso, the headlights, turnsignals and brake lights all work???? I tested the wires with a test lamp, it just confirms that the drivers side is getting no juice. Also, I found something that makes no sense to me. There is a wire that runs off the positive terminal of the battery with an inline 20amp fuse. The wire runs directly to a ground under the rear seat. Whenever I replace the fuse, it blows it? What purpose does this wire serve???

You have a wire running from your positive battery terminal directly to ground???? I am willing to bet that's not stock! Maybe some previous owner had a amp or something back there.

yea like Jeepr said.. the wires connect into one so check the wire that runs to the light that connects to the other one and make sure its not defective...

Also, I found something that makes no sense to me. There is a wire that runs off the positive terminal of the battery with an inline 20amp fuse. The wire runs directly to a ground under the rear seat. Whenever I replace the fuse, it blows it? What purpose does this wire serve???

Trash that wire! If it weren't for the fuse blowing, you'd have major battery/fire problems! Of course the fuse will blow when you cross hot with ground directly through it!

So that wire has nothing to do with things, any ideas>?????

Back