A/C Compressor

bobp

I've got a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It's got the I6, 4.0L engine. I was troubleshooting an air conditioning problem (blowing warm air) yesterday and noticed that the clutch assembly on the A/C compressor will engage then dis-engage while the A/C is on. This happens all the while that the A/C is on, even after the engine has warmed to operating temperature. Is this normal operation or should the compressor (and clutch assembly) be engaged the entire time that the A/C is on? I thought that perhaps it needed a refrigerant charge and was adding R-134a refrigerant when I noticed this. I even jumpered (at the cycling switch) the compressor to keep it engaged but it continued to engage, then dis-engage. Could the belt be loose and in need of tightening or does it sound as though the compressor is faulty? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob P.

95 Grand Cherokee

6cyl. 4L[addsig]

I had the same problem. Turns out that if there isn't enough of a charge that it will not stay engaged. Have you checked how much is is there?[addsig]

WHEN THE COMPRESSOR DOES THAT THAT IS A SURE SIGN THAT THE FREON IS LOW MORE THAN LIKELY IT IS ONE OF TWO THINGS THE EVAPORATOR OR THE HIGH PRESSURE HOSE(THE HOSE FROM THE COMPRESSOR TO THE CONDENSOR) GOOD LUCK[addsig]

Not knowing the Jeep AC system as well as I could. I´ll take everydodies word about a low pressure cut off. Before I´d add much more freon, I´d take a real close look at all connections (and the condensor) for oil spots. The freon is mixed in the system with oil and will leave an oil residue where it´s leaking out. Sometimes hard to see and/or difficult to get to.[addsig]

Back