A Gadget Moment

Re: RE: Broke a shock mount

Went to the marina a few days ago -- despite daylong warnings of severe evening thunderstorms.

Gadget is not easily deterred from his appointed rounds.

Throwing caution to the winds (little did I know), I fired-up the Bubbacon, full soft-top minus doors and windows, and drove to the boat to there putter for a while.

On the drive home, dusk approaching, the t-storm hit. Boy, did it hit!!!

The storm hit -- full blast -- just as I stopped for a red light atop a bridge that overpasses Interstate-81. No place to go, totally exposed, trapped like the proverbial drowning rat.

The sturdy Bubbacon rocked from side to side in the wind. Wind-driven rain entered the driver's side and exited out the passenger side. Your now drenched but erstwhile Jeeper sat there being pelted, both hands holding on to his beloved baseball cap to keep it from flying away.

Sitting there, helpless, wondering why I cannot see through the windshield, despite having the wipers on high-speed. Finally realizing that I cannot see because of the lack of wipers on my eyeglasses.

A mini-van stopped to my right. Sensing that I was being watched, I looked over to see a soccer family...all of them looking at me with facial expressions like they were seeing a Sasquatch.

Thinking how to be suave and debonair in these conditions, I drew a blank. The only thing I could think to do was to give the indigenous van-ites an enthusiastic Jeep wave.

So, I did.

The traffic light then changed to green, and I crawled forward to arrive home 20 minutes later -- one very soggy Gadget.

This, of course, was a source of much amusement for Mrs. Gadget.

No matter -- she will forget about this and stop the good-natured ragging on me in a few weeks...or months...or years.

And that is why I love my Jeep: it reminds me from time to time, as no other vehicle can, that I am a but a part of the bigger whole and still able to experience and enjoy the vagaries of nature with the glee of a child.

Regards,

Prune fingered, Gadget

Ha! Way to act casual Gadget! I thought I was going to have a similar experience last weekend. "20% chance of rain" they said. Driving down the highway at 65 mph the sky just opened up. I was surprised how much of the rain just seemed to blow over the top of the CJ. Luckily, it was just one little patch, and 2 min later I had sunlight to dry me off.

I feel your pain, brother, I do. Had a similar experience last Friday coming home from work (see my "It's that time of year again" thread). Also, last summer, about this same time, I actually had hail in the back of the YJ while tornado chasing in Nebraska. I always get funny looks from folks when I'm sitting at a stoplight in the rain with no windows, happily tapping my fingers to the music on my stereo, occasionally reaching up to wipe the rain off my glasses or the inside of the windshield.

Your soggy and none-to-bright friend,

Sparky

RE: Jeep Cd player

That use to be the most fun in high school. I had the 89 YJ kicking in the rain. No carpet, cling wrap dashed and lots of fun.

Was there "nip-on"??? LOL.

Ya, took me all of 3 months of ownership to fall victim to the weather out here. Kinda fun though!

And that is why I love my Jeep: it reminds me from time to time, as no other vehicle can, that I am a but a part of the bigger whole and still able to experience and enjoy the vagaries of nature with the glee of a child.

Regards,

Prune fingered, Gadget

Only an ancient mariner (and/or Jeep owner) could get so much glee out of getting soaked!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once again, Gadget, you have expressed my feelings better than I ever could!

Another ancient mariner (albeit in kayaks),
mud

Re: RE: Dynomax mufflers?

You just summed up my daily 60 mile OREGON commute!!

I have been steadfast about not putting the doors on & keeping the bikini top only on since I bought the TJ in April....... there have been "testing" days!

I actually fashioned a small rubber squeegy so I can wipe the water off the inside of the windshield! I got tired of stopping at every other McDonalds to grab dozens of napkins to wipe it with!!

Its not the rain falling down that gets ya, its the mist off the tires that coats ya!

Great story though Gadget!

P.S: switch to contacts, then you can wear swimming goggles!
and I am still literally laughing at the "could not think of what to do so I threw up the Jeep waive" line....... classic! :lol: :lol:

judge09 said:
That use to be the most fun in high school. I had the 89 YJ kicking in the rain. No carpet, cling wrap dashed and lots of fun.

My high school buddy had a 79 CJ7, pretty much held together with duct tape!
He could not afford a top for it so winters we actually wore ski goggles & layers upon layers of jackets.
And I am not talking Florida winters, we are talking Boston winters!

These days even still, I have two water proof stuff sacks strapped to the rear roll bar, each containing a fleece blanket & a compressed down jacket! :lol:

Very good story Gadget!!!! That sure is funny!

It sure brings back memories of my old Jeep...and it's stories like that that make me want to get another one REAL SOON!!!

well i wasnt in my jeep when it started raining but my neighbor called to tell me that it was raining and i still had the top of my bad boy. finally got the top out and had to go out.... so i sat on a garbage bag. But i still got to have people look at me like i was crazy.... every time i got out the bag would static cling to my butt.

yay for rain and jeeps :D

steering wheel adjustments

Inspector-Gadget said:
it reminds me from time to time, as no other vehicle can, that I am a but
Regards,
Prune fingered, Gadget

A very clean but, tho! :lol: :lol:

Back