a whole heep of yeep

warpedredneck

hey folks
i've got a 87 mj 4cyl manual trans
periodically when i gas it up it stutters bad,
when it stutters, the clock,radio, oil gauge and volt meter get real erratic.
i found some green corrosion in the fuse box(cleaned/replaced all fuses)
found some green corrosion in the bulkhead connecter(where it goes thru firewall) cleaned and applied dielectric
found the battery positive cable chafed and rubbing the block(replaced cable and tied it up)
the stuttering is still the same but hell it starts quicker?
any way its pretty frustrating if you have any tricks up your sleeve i'd sure appreciate hearing them
thanks in advance
jeff

yeah i checked the forums did all that before posting, i did however find a wiring diagram last night showing the gauges,alternator and acc directly coming off one side of the ign switch.(2 sides to the switch)
i think i'll bypass the switch just to try it today, hell its gonna be better or worse right?
thanks for the reply

so i bypassed the ign switch and nothing changed......
i dont give up that easy while i was under the dash i noticed a bad neg(ground) splice joint like it had been overheated.
then i remembered old chevelles/monte carlos the shifter cable would electrically weld itself solid when the body grounds went bad.
looked under the hood and my ground strap was gone (ends were still there)
fabricated a couple of body to battery/block/chassis grounds and no more problems
the gauges are reading accurate and its starting better than ever.
sorry for the long post but if it helps another member its worth the pain for all my 2 fingered typing!

thanks for the welcome, i was thinking about swaping engines in this thing, but it runs so well (when it runs, hehe) i dont have the heart to cut it up yet,
i'm kind of a quiet guy but if ya'll run into a particularly funky problem drop me a line and i'll do the best to help you out

Welcome aboard!! Your post reflects your true Jeepin' spirit!!!! Always liked the mj's.............maybe your info will come in handy in the future..........THAT's what it's all about!!!

Back