Accelerator Problem

TJ_Jeep

Well took a little trip in my jeep today and i "punch" it just a little bit and it never comes back down from like 3500 RPM. So i pull over with the engine just a screaming and raise the hood and wiggle the accelerator and it goes back down, and i happen to have a can of WD-40 so i soaked it. it was doing ok until i was half way home until all of a sudden its speeding up again. I push the clutch in and its bouncing off the rev limiter and then my check engine light came on and now its not going off. any ideas????????

Talk about be scared ****less ha

Last edited:

Fix your Cable binding issue first. disconnect the battery for 5 mins. and re-install. if the SES lamp is extinguished , i wouldn't worry about it. if it comes back on, get it scanned.

Fix your Cable binding issue first. disconnect the battery for 5 mins. and re-install. if the SES lamp is extinguished , i wouldn't worry about it. if it comes back on, get it scanned.
I tired fixing the cable the first time and it did ok for a while then it got sticky. The light only came on when it it was at 6000 RPM which is bad.

If your worried about the SES lamp, Scan it and let us know what the DTC is and we'll look at the concern then. I could only guess a possible TPS or engine speed DTC. so as long as the SES lamp is NOT flashing, then there is nothing to worry about.

If your worried about the SES lamp, Scan it and let us know what the DTC is and we'll look at the concern then. I could only guess a possible TPS or engine speed DTC. so as long as the SES lamp is NOT flashing, then there is nothing to worry about.
I'm not really worried about it, it just scared me because thats the first time i ever saw it, I'm probably gonna just soak it good with some WD-40. When i punched it, i really stomped it down and thats when it got stuck lol

Try to remove the Cable from the Jeep. Pull the Cable from each end one side at a time while soaking. then try to get some grease inside the cable. I've been there on the OH CRAP!! it's going faster and i wanna stop.. the only difference is i don't have a rev limiter, so i just turned the ignition off.....

Try to remove the Cable from the Jeep. Pull the Cable from each end one side at a time while soaking. then try to get some grease inside the cable. I've been there on the OH CRAP!! it's going faster and i wanna stop.. the only difference is i don't have a rev limiter, so i just turned the ignition off.....
I guess when i punched it i hit a part in that cable that i haven't used in a while. i did have to turn mine off because i didnt wanna blow 'er

Well found the problem, i had pressured washed my engine Saturday and some water got in to the rod that the accelerator cable attaches to, and it had made it corrode a little thus sticking it wide open but i cleaned that all up and put it back together, went to autozone to get the scan for the light and the guy told me it was the TPS telling the computer something wasn't right, but im just glad i got it fixed and not having to pull over ever 5 mins to fix it.

WD40 is NOT a lubricant! It has slight lubricating qualities that evaporate quickly and it loosens up lube that was previously on stuff. Otherwise it takes stuff down to metal on metal and ruins them. If it gets sucked into your intake system the silicon will ruin your O2 sensor as well (poisons them)

WD40 is NOT a lubricant! It has slight lubricating qualities that evaporate quickly and it loosens up lube that was previously on stuff. Otherwise it takes stuff down to metal on metal and ruins them. If it gets sucked into your intake system the silicon will ruin your O2 sensor as well (poisons them)
The WD-40 was just a quick fix on the highway so i wouldn't get killed. And my O2 sensor isnt even in the pipe its beside it :)

Ya just make sure you clean it out real good (which it sounds like you did) and then lube it up real good.

That definitely had to scare you a little bit though!!!

Ya just make sure you clean it out real good (which it sounds like you did) and then lube it up real good.

That definitely had to scare you a little bit though!!!
Yeah i did, never knew my lil ol' I6 could get from 40 to 70 that quick, i forgot what grease i used it was in a tube thats all i know.

Yeah "my foot is off the gas but yet i'm going faster, maybe i should push the clutch in and hit the brake and pull over"

Back