Airconditioning Compressor smoking?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok for the last month or so I've been smelling burnt radiator fluid after i stop the jeep and get out. I didn't notice any leaks, change in temperature, or level of fluid change so I didn't know what it was. Well about a week ago I started my jeep, when it was hot outside, and my fan belt started squeeling big time but then after a 10-20 sec or so it stopped so I figured it might be getting loose. Well nothing happened for a few days and then it squeeked agian and stopped. Two days later I'm driving back from school and start smelling some kind of burnt smell. So when I get into a parking lot I pop the hood and see a line of smoke comming from inside the pulley on my air conditioning compressor (or atleast I think thats what it is, top left pulley when your facing the jeep). So I turned the jeep on without the airconditioning on to see if it would spin and let me get home and it did so I got it home and parked it for the weekend. I have a appointment with a shop on monday but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if my compressor is shot, freeon low, or something else that could be a problem and maybe I can fix it myself instead of spending alot for the shop to fix it. Thanks for the help.

CherokeeGuy42 said:
Ok for the last month or so I've been smelling burnt radiator fluid after i stop the jeep and get out. I didn't notice any leaks, change in temperature, or level of fluid change so I didn't know what it was. Well about a week ago I started my jeep, when it was hot outside, and my fan belt started squeeling big time but then after a 10-20 sec or so it stopped so I figured it might be getting loose. Well nothing happened for a few days and then it squeeked agian and stopped. Two days later I'm driving back from school and start smelling some kind of burnt smell. So when I get into a parking lot I pop the hood and see a line of smoke comming from inside the pulley on my air conditioning compressor (or atleast I think thats what it is, top left pulley when your facing the jeep). So I turned the jeep on without the airconditioning on to see if it would spin and let me get home and it did so I got it home and parked it for the weekend. I have a appointment with a shop on monday but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if my compressor is shot, freeon low, or something else that could be a problem and maybe I can fix it myself instead of spending alot for the shop to fix it. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like the A/C clutch is slipping and not turning loose when the compressor cycles off.

Bingo......Wise man once said "never turn your Jeep on or off with the A/C running". Had a '95 ZJ that did that twice and that is what the mechanic at Jeep told me. It tends to screw it all up for some reason.

Having the A/C on when you turn off the vehicle is fine. It's turning on the vehicle with the A/C on that is bad.

Most new cars actually turn on the A/C compressor automatically when you turn your key off, to keep the engine from dieseling when it's hot.

Don't forget that your compressor runs when you have the defrosters turned on. It doesn't hurt newer vehicles to turn the vehicle off or start it with the air on. If a mechanic told you that, he is an old timer.

Back