alternator upgrade choices?

frhrwa

like the heater/blower motor upgrade, there must be the same upgrades for the Alternator? just added a winch, lights, etc.. have the stock alternator that doesn't get over 11 vdc when anything like the heater, turn signals, etc are on.. but.... my alternator uses the serpentine belt, so.. what alternator in the 135 and up @ will bolt up? if anyone has done this.. I had a/c, disconnected it all, but the compressor is still mounted since I can't find a bracket to add an idler pulley in place of it.. will add second battery also, with rectifier (isolation) circuit.. the alternator as it stands is on the passenger side, under the a/c compressor, turns clockwise.. 258 4.2L '84 Cj-7 by the way.. NO EMMISSION CRAP, so that stuff is gone.. pretty much decided the a/c compressor is staying. I might as well make it an onboard air compressor..

Man, I wish I could remember. I put a larger range alternator in my jeep years ago, cant remember for the life of me what it was, I want to say it was a ford alternator. It was a local auto store bought replacement though. wish I could help more.

When I upgraded mine, I went to my local NAPA parts store and asked them for an upgraded alternator. After a few minutes of research from their computer on the specs. Of the current alternator I had in my jeep vs. the ones that they found to have a higher output, they managed to match the same alternator housing with a higher output that was intended for a different vehicle. All I had to do was swap over the pulley since my situation was the opposite of yours, mine uses a v belt and not a serpentine belt. I've since changed out that setup to a whopping 210 amp alternator from the same parts store and since I relocated the alternator to the top right where the a/c compressor used to be and made some custom brackets. This alternator is now a GM case alternator instead of the prior Ford alternator.

You can use a CS144 series alternator, commonly found in Cadillacs, in your Jeep. The plug is different, but a local alternator shop can get you an adapter. Also, the hole-to-hole spread is just a little bit larger than on the 12Si series found in the CJs and pre-91 Wranglers, but the bracket has enough play to work.

my alternator has a serpentine belt, most I've seen are v-belts, is the Cadillac unit adaptable to the serpentine pulley?

Try the PowerMaster GM CS144, it can be found at most auto parts stores. It a 200 amp alt. and you can get the harness adp from PowerMaster as well. It's already set up for a serpentine belt. It's costly!

my alternator has a serpentine belt, most I've seen are v-belts, is the Cadillac unit adaptable to the serpentine pulley?

Yes. Most of the GM alternators, except the Type 100 Si's and some others, have a 17mm shaft, which accepts a wide variety of pulleys. If you have an impact wrench, you can even use your old stock pulley on the CS144. The most compatible alternators come off '93-'96 GM vehicles with the 5.7L LT1 engine, like the Fleetwood Brougham, Corvette C4, Pontiac Firebird, etc, etc.

Back