aluminum dana 44?

jeepdude832

I found out that some grand cheerokees have aluminum dana 44s My friend said they suck and not to get one What is aluminum in them just the tubes or what. Also will they bolt right in place under a tj cause of them being coil springs as well.

the center is ALUM... just go ahead and pass it up... no good

if you're looking for something to bolt right in (not sure if the perches are in the right spots, but if they are...) and you can find one cheap, then do NOT pass it up... it would be a hell of a lot better than a D35

If your looking for a true bolt in D44, Look to the north. YJ's made for canada could come with a D44 option that the It's American sibling never came with. (plus the US-Canadian exchange) you can get them at a decent price and will bolt right up.

If you don't mind a little welding and cutting. ford 8.8 is the way to go! 31 slpine axles D44 has 30 and the D35 has 27. Bigger ring gear and if off of a 95+ explorer, rear disc brakes that will bolt right up with a GC e-brake cable!

Sure the FORD 9" is a bitchin axle but let me share with you some advice I got some years ago from Art Archer, Owner of Archer Brothers Jeep here in Hayward.

Art said the trouble with custom Fab'd axles is that when you are W A Y
back on a trail some miles off the blacktop and the dang thing breaks, where are you gonna find spare parts or a welding shop to fab you up a fix on a hot Sunday afternoon in a tiny mountain town ??

Alum 44 ????
Never heard of such a critter..but more important....WHY ???

The 44 has a strong carrier section.
BUT
Not any stronger than lots and lots and lots of other axles under all kinds of trucks in our country.

The best part of the 44 is the tubes.
They are extra thickwalled & made of extra strong steel.
THATS what makes a 44 so strong, not the gears.
HELL, anybody can build a strong carrier
As a matter of fact, most everybody does.

It aint the gears & bearings which gave the 44 its fame, it is the tubes.

There is a new SUV import just out. I forgot the badge, because, who cares ?
Anyway, the specs said D44 axles.
I said...SAY WHAT ?!?!?!?!?

Turns out it uses D44 carrier with homegrown tubes.
(probably plastic tubes...)

Yuk, Yuk, Yuk...

sillsmack said:
The best part of the 44 is the tubes.
They are extra thickwalled & made of extra strong steel.
Except for the fake D44's in the Rubicon, same thin tube thickness as the D35.
sillsmack said:
There is a new SUV just out. I forgot the badge, because, who cares ?
Anyway, the specs said D44 axles.
I said...SAY WHAT ?!?!?!?!?

Turns out it uses D44 carrier with homegrown tubes.
(probably plastic tubes...)

Yuk, Yuk, Yuk...
Sounds like the Rubi :wink:

Depends on what the D44 is out of. Most are worth building for moderate use up to 35" or 36" tires.

Back