Another Newbie

ackerman

Skiing

Hey All

I am new here and was wondering who else with a 95 XJ is having problems with loose or mushy steering? If so, did you get it fixed and what fixed it? I have recently had the steering dampener replaced so I know it isn't that.

Another quick question.....how big can I go with tires on the stock 16" rims and no lift?

Cheers
Chris

RE: Skiing

Hey ! Welcome to JEEPZ! I have a TJ, so can't help ya there..BUT there are ALOT of XJ owners on here that can head you in the right direction! :lol:

Welcome Aboard!

RE: Skiing

Welcome. There were 16" rims available stock in '95? Or did you get them from another year Jeep? Largest you can squeeze on the XJ is 225/75R16 or somewhere around a 28" tire.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Welcome. There were 16" rims available stock in '95? Or did you get them from another year Jeep? Largest you can squeeze on the XJ is 225/75R16 or somewhere around a 28" tire.

Yup, they are the stockers. I have the 225/75's on it now. I saw a guy the other day with the same jeep and same rims with way bigger tires. Maybe he was taking his chances......

Thanks for the info!

RE: Re: RE: Skiing

he could have a lift on his Jeep. whats your wheel look like i always thought and have only seen 15's on XJs

RE: Re: RE: Another Newbie

Never seen 16's on an Xj, but you never know. Got pics? Now i'm curious.

They didn't have 16" wheels as an option on XJ's until 2000. I believe it was an option on the CLassic and standard on the Limited..

You either have 15" stock wheels or you have a set of 16" Jeep wheels off another Jeep.

Got a picture of them?

Going to AZ

Oops! You're right, they are 15s. My bad. For some reason I was convinced they were 16s. I have 235/75/R15s on it right now. I would like to put taller and a little wider rubber on them. But first I have to figure out this stupid mushy steering problem.

RE: Re: RE: Another Newbie

Check to see how much play is in the steering box. It may just need a little adjustment.

RE: Great Vid.. its a flying ...?? Lawn..?? what?

Check the steering box? Fair enough. I am not very familiar with the Jeep yet and am only slightly machanically minded. Any chance this is something I can do fairly easily?

As the box wears it developes play between the gears, that translates into sloppy steering. There is an adjustment screw on the box that allows you to adjust the mesh of the gears. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the input and output shafts on the steering box. There should be a reaction from the output as soon as the input turns.

RE: Rear Brakes not locking up

Hi,

The steering gear box is located in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side of the vehicle. If you have a 6-cylinder engine your air filter box should be above it. Another good way to find the steering gear box is to locate where the steering column comes through the firewall, then follow it towards the front of the Jeep where it'll connect into the steering gear box. :wink:

-Nick :!:

Hi Nick. Thanks for the instructions! I have the 5.2 but imagine its probably around the same place. I will give this a shot and see how it goes!

Thanks for the help gents.

Okay guys here's the skinny.....I got in there and tried tightening that screw but it was as tight as it gets. I put her up on the ramps and checked under the front end and found there is alot of play in the track bar and the tie rods. Is this normal? They can rock back and forth about an inch. The steering box/pitman arm assembly seems nice and tight.....thoughts? :roll:

ackerman said:
Okay guys here's the skinny.....I got in there and tried tightening that screw but it was as tight as it gets. I put her up on the ramps and checked under the front end and found there is alot of play in the track bar and the tie rods. Is this normal? They can rock back and forth about an inch. The steering box/pitman arm assembly seems nice and tight.....thoughts? :roll:

sounds like it's time for some new tie rod ends and track bar bushings.

sounds like it's time for some new tie rod ends and track bar bushings.

So those components are supposed to be tight an not able to rock? Yikes, if thats the case Im probably driving a death trap! :shock:

RE: Happy Easter

New bushings can make ALL the difference!

Back