Another vibration

bravo4

I have a 1989 YJ with a manual transmission,I started getting a vibration while driving that seems to come from the center of the Jeep.I read the other forum post here concerning vibrations but where mine differs is that when I depress the clutch it appears to stop.This about the first time Ive driven it much after getting it stuck this winter and the front wheel drive was not working.It still does not engage but I think I need a new locking motor on the front drive,could this cause the vibration if its not working properly?

Are your engine mounts OK? Mine were falling apart and I had to replace them, and the symptoms were similar. Also chek the transmission mount to the skid plate. You can also be getting some axle warp (where the rear leafs bend in an S shape), which can be causing angle issues on the rear axle...

My exhaust vibrates when running down the road, I can push in on the clutch at 60 mph. and it disappears completly. Man, on a Jeep it could be a number of things. I doubt your front shift motor has anything to do with it, and axle warp shouldn't be a problem just driving down the road. Keep looking, or learn to ignore it:D. Later

my guess would be worn or dry u joints if the shift motor isnt working the front driveshaft should not be turning ,if you had a tj i would say to also check cv joint on front driveshaft because they turn all the time on a tj

almost sounds like the clutch chattering or a bad throw out bearing if it stops when you apply the clutch but yes check u joints first like sid suggested

Thanks for all the good info.I'm replacing the U joints today they were falling apart.Also it does appear that transmission to skid plate mount has a problem it is loose and won't tighten or loosen.Thanks again.

Back