Anyone GeoCaching?!

outerbeachyj

I just did my first GeoCaching this weekend down on the Cape, this is soooo cool! :lol: Anyone else here on Jeepz into this? Got my GPS in the Jeep now and want to create my own Cache or a travel bug. The GPS is great, I was able to see exaclty how off my speedometer is now with the big tires too. 50 MPH on the Jeep speedo is 56 - 57 MPH on the GPS. Good to know! Check this out if you have a GPS and don't know about it:

http://www.geocaching.com/

Also, there is a special Jeep Geocaching event too!

http://jeep.geocaching.com/

I have an etrex legend, and some great software with it (metroguide for one). I love it and used it all the time in my lifted YJ. I don't know anything about this geocaching though... I'll check it out.

I have a Garmin GPS60C and love it. I actually checked out the geocaching thing before I bought it and thought it looked pretty cool. I just haven't found the time to go find any yet much less create my own.

But, I do love my GPS.

Yes, someone on this site posted a geo-caching thread recently. Since then, I've become completely enthralled with it. The link given goes to a site, that explains EVERYTHING. So cool.

I am still researching the GPS thing. But next thursday me and a few guys from our local 4 wheel club will be going out to find the one at Red Sands. (where my pics were taken) I think I am gonna start low-end, like the Garmin Etrex yellow, just to be safe.

What's cool is that it gives you "Purpose" to go trailing, and hiking. Rather than just for trailing's sake. I love to trail, but this gives you a great added bonus. I think I found my new hobby to compliment 4 wheeling!

BTW - Sparky-Watts is a member of geocaching.com and is one of the most experienced vets on that site. He has a bunch of finds, and thousands of post. He'd be a good guy to PM for advice.

BODY LIFT QUESTION

It is addicting isn't it? lol.. i've been doing it for over a year now (since I got the GPS)

I don't have a GPS but this Geocaching thing reads like it's awesome! Even in my small area there are a few logs of items. Surprising.

Lady

Bestop console

That does look like it might be fun. My son would enjoy coming along too. If I get another hobby/interest I'll need everyone to switch to an 8 day week! :lol:

TwistedCopper said:
That does look like it might be fun. My son would enjoy coming along too. If I get another hobby/interest I'll need everyone to switch to an 8 day week! :lol:

No kidding... my cup runneth over with hobbies. So you have the Legend? Do you think that you have too many bells and whistles with that? I'm trying to figure out whether the legend or the regular yellow etrex is the way to go.

I have an eTrex Vista. I haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like and I'd like to try geocaching too. A friend told me about it a year or so ago but I haven't actually done it yet. I have used my eTrex on some hikes though...it came in real handy in Alaska last year.

mingez said:
BTW - Sparky-Watts is a member of geocaching.com and is one of the most experienced vets on that site. He has a bunch of finds, and thousands of post. He'd be a good guy to PM for advice.

Well, I'm not the most experienced by far. There are folks there with thousands of finds. I am quite experienced on their forum boards, though!
:lol:

I really love it. It's a great way to combine wheeling with another hobby, and you get to see a lot of interesting places you never knew existed. I've got an Etrex Legend with MapSource MetroGuide software, though I hear Topo is a good software prog for trails. You really should check it out, it's a lot of fun! If I can't answer your questions here, there are a lot of people on their message boards that can.

Im actually building a stand that will go in my cj7 to hold my laptop which has a USB Delorme Earthmate GPS Reciever attached.Ive got street atlas 2004, but I wanna find a different gps progge , something like TOPO USA.
Any1 wanna send me a copy????

Well, I thought I'd start cheap... got the Yellow Etrex. I told my Geology buddy of the Geocaching thing and he suggested starting with the yellow. He has a 60cs and has had the Yellow and a Magellan Meriplat. He says that to this day, there's still very few reasons to stray from the Yellow.

I can always upgrade later. :wink:

But I am VERY EXCITED!!!!! Will search the next day off I get!!!!!

No Jeep

The Etrex Yellow is a good starter unit, and quite possibly you may never want to upgrade. It's nice to see someone approach this with some reason, rather than buying the biggest, best there is. That way, if you find you don't like it, or don't have the time, you're not out a lot of money for a fancy toy. But, I'm sure you'll love it!

Sparky-Watts said:
The Etrex Yellow is a good starter unit, and quite possibly you may never want to upgrade. It's nice to see someone approach this with some reason, rather than buying the biggest, best there is. That way, if you find you don't like it, or don't have the time, you're not out a lot of money for a fancy toy. But, I'm sure you'll love it!

Still gotta learn the simplest of info. Coordinates, heading, I have no idea. That's what my friends were for.

red89yj said:
take the manual in the can with you... it is very thorough and easy to follow

You know... it sure is a strange phenomenon that folks like to read and crap at the same time. Hehehehehee

Just got some more gear for the caching:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Oil everywhere, found the source

Sweet pack, Mingez!! During the winter, I had been using a regular Walmart $9.99 back-pack/book bag, but since it's warmed up, I've switched over to a fanny pack (just watched the Inlaws the other day, that guy wore a fanny pack!). I'll have to look into getting me a pack like that.....way cool!!

EDIT: Where'd you find that pack? Got a link?

I gotta admit, I kinda like it

Actually, on the geocaching site there is a guy (I can't remember his name) selling this brand in the
"Garage Sale" section of the site. But, he has become back-ordered quite a bit. Thus, I went to the maxpeditiion website and found a supplier. www.maxpedition.com/

There you can go to the list of dealers: http://www.maxpedition.com/dealer_list.htm and select the one nearest you (for optimal shipping costs).

I bought mine from: http://www.tadgear.com/index.html because they ship free with all orders over 100$.

The fatboy is soooo coool BTW!

Back