Are wheel caps needed?

Spatula

$$$ soft doors

This probably seems like a total noob question, but hey, I'm a total noob. This is my first Jeep/Off-road vehicle. Previously I drove 1994 Toyota Tercel and a 2004 Mazda RX-8. Neither of these cars had wheels that use caps. Are they just for asthetics, or do they perform some specific needed function?

I ask because I am buying some new wheels, will be selling my old ones, and need to know if I need to also purchase some caps.

My Jeep is a '01 (TJ) Sport.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: for robrt-stephens

Look at my sig. I opted out of center caps. I hate chrome. They are not neccessary.

I busted mine off (accidentally on purpose) when I did my SOA because one of my lugnuts came apart. I like it better without. I just need to paint the rims now

RE: Soft top rules!!!!!!!

On black wheels, it looks so much better to not run a center cap.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: for robrt-st

yeah i got black wheels with out caps too. my suggestion: pull the wheels, rattle can what is going to show where a center cap would be gloss black (or accordingly to match your wheel) and you'll have a nice clean look all around. it wont stick out like chrome caps, but it also wont show the rust color where the caps cover.

RE: Tire size for BDS lift.

New black wheels with mounted BFGs en route sans center caps. Thanks for the suggestion on rattle-canning that which showeth thru the wheel centers.

RE: HYD. CLUTCH BLEEDS DOWN

Spatula said:
This probably seems like a total noob question, but hey, I'm a total noob. This is my first Jeep/Off-road vehicle. Previously I drove 1994 Toyota Tercel and a 2004 Mazda RX-8. Neither of these cars had wheels that use caps. Are they just for asthetics, or do they perform some specific needed function?

I ask because I am buying some new wheels, will be selling my old ones, and need to know if I need to also purchase some caps.

My Jeep is a '01 (TJ) Sport.

Oh.. you definitely need the wheel caps. They keep the lugnuts in place when they fall off because you forgot to tighten them...

lol J/K I'd dump them.

Ya, don't waste your money on them. I always end up banging mine all up anyways.

A 2004 Maxda RX-8 eh?? Those are SWEET cars!! One of my friends bought one a while back...and whenever we go anywhere, we HAVE to take her car!

Am I the only one running wheel caps?

Only thing that sucks about center caps is they get all jacked up when you are wedged between two rocks. My wheel caps aint pretty. :lol: I say go no center caps. You dont really need them. Some people like them, others dont.

What do I do with this?

The whole subject of wheels has gone beyond my ability to comprehend. All this stuff seems to float back to the top and come full circle.

When I started wheeling, all I could afford were skinny little wagon wheels with a coat of white or black spray paint. We felt cool because we dressed them up with chrome center caps and Chevrolet beauty rings for the street. Everyone ran those until they could UPGRADE to some nice looking rims built to the proper specs. I was proud when I got my first set of lightweight, shiny, properly fitting aluminum rims.....and I never looked back. I may be stuck in the 90s, but screw basic black.

If I'm going to put this thing threw the trials of proper off-roading, shiny anything is goign to get beat to hell. No reason to spend my well earned dough on pretty shiny wheels that are going to get all jacked up. Actually, I all ready have pretty shiny wheels on it. They're coming off, and basic black is taking over.

Sully said:
Am I the only one running wheel caps?

Only thing that sucks about center caps is they get all jacked up when you are wedged between two rocks. My wheel caps aint pretty. :lol: I say go no center caps. You dont really need them. Some people like them, others dont.

Nope, I've got them, too Sully. I debated whether to get them or not when buying my wheels, and at only $6 apiece I figured I'd go ahead and get them to see if I liked them. Turns out, I don't really like them. They're already starting to rust a little from mudding and where the lug wrench hits them. Next oil change is also tire rotation time, so I'm taking them off then to see if I like it better without....I'm betting that I do.

RE: Misconceptions you had as a kid

ive got the black rims and im running center caps. i hate chrome but for some reason im kinda attached to those little guys. they kinda balance out all the other black and green.

RE: Misconceptions you had as a kid

If I'm going to put this thing threw the trials of proper off-roading, shiny anything is goign to get beat to hell.

No doubt about that.

No reason to spend my well earned dough on pretty shiny wheels that are going to get all jacked up.

Sure there is.....if you want pretty shiny wheels.

Actually, I all ready have pretty shiny wheels on it. They're coming off, and basic black is taking over.

Cool, if that's your thing.

You guys might not like chrome.....but give me a break. There's more "bling" floating around the trails these days than at a rap concert. The hardcore blackout treatment kind of loses it's creds when the rest of the Jeep looks like it never leaves the mall parking lot.

To all the guys banging out bent bead lips on your USED steel wheels....more power to you. To all the guys running steel wheels because it makes you look cool like that other guy.......BLING!
Which is fine too. To each his own.

I shudder at merely hearing the word bling. That said, I too have the chrome caps on my black wheels. I like them but the cheesy POS' (Cragar) are already starting to show some surface rust. Probably because the only thing I've done with them is hose the mud off them on occasion. Somethime this summer I may either replace them or re-coat them. They were pretty inexpensive and if I ding one up badly enough, a replacement is a click away ;)

Re: RE: Good Laugh!

TwistedCopper said:
They were pretty inexpensive and if I ding one up badly enough, a replacement is a click away ;)

That's kinda what I was thinkin' when I got them. I knew they wouldn't look purty very long, but they're inexpensive. Mine have the same surface rust, and yeah, all I've ever done is power wash the mud off of them. I'm due for an oil change probably by this weekend, so I'll rotate tires and remove the caps then to see how I like it without.

Junkpile said:
You guys might not like chrome.....

Actually, a little chrome looks good. I don't care for the full treatment, though. You know, diamond plate all the way around, chrome bumpers, tow hooks, brush guards, hood latches, window hinges, etc. I've seen Jeeps with a touch of diamond plate on the rear and maybe one or two spots of chrome other places that look darn good and are used and abused on the trail, too. I don't have any chrome (aside from my rusty wheel caps) and my Jeep usually looks like it just came off the trail anyway.

If ya wanna put chrome or aluminum wheels on your trail rig, that's fine. Just as long as I'm not the one that has to wash them to keep them looking purty!

Had mine on till I did the rear brakes and forgot to put them back on.

Way back in the day, the moon dish hub cap was used as a dust barrier and to "dress up " the steel wheels, but now a days not needed

Off topic: Know any soldiers or anyone overseas?

Sparky-Watts said:
Mine have the same surface rust, and yeah, all I've ever done is power wash the mud off of them. .

We could've both probably avoided that with a little polish or wax of some type. Still, they shouldn't have rusted so quickly.

Back