Auto to AX-15

burdman

I knew when I started this swap that it wasn't goin to be easy, but wow, is it turning into a serious pain in the behind. I have a '93 wrangler with the 4.0 and automatic. I decided I wanted to put a 5 speed in. I found an ax-15 that was supposed to be from a '94(I wanted the external slave). Unfortunately when I went to pick it up, it had the internal slave. Still couldn't pass up the deal, so I got it. I then got a bellhousing from a 95 xj. Unfortunately the sensor on my yj does not fit the xj housing. I bought the xj sensor, hooked it up and gave it a try. The jeep tries to start, but after a few seconds it just sputters and dies. I unhooked the sensor and tried it, and it doesn't even sputter, so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. My question is, can I find a bellhousing that my original sensor will fit, or do I have to get a different computer? I'm also having other wiring issues, but for right now I want to get it started.

Are you talking about the crank position sensor? At the front of the bellhousing near where the bellhousing attaches to the engine?

Yes he is talking about the CPS it is the only sensor that is mounted to the bellhousing.
burdman, make sure the XJ sensor is close enough to the flywheel, too much air gap and it will not read. I would say no more than .080" gap.

OK, that didn't help. Could my flywheel be off a hole? I didn't think about it when I installed the flywheel, but after some research I've found that it could affect the timing. I don''t want to tear it all apart again, but if I have to, I will. I'm not gonna do it 'til after I go to the Jeep show in York this weekend, but any info would be great. Thanks guys.

Back