autometer speedo install?

john_tara4

YJ question. The Hanes manual does not specify wiring for the speedo sending unit. (3 wires, blk/red, wht/blk, blu.) If someone could tell me which is power, ground, and sending I would greatly appreciate it. Need the new speedo hooked up before I get a ticket. Thanks

You need to find somebody with a FSM (Factory Service Manual). We moved and if I come across mine I'll find out the wire color you need and post up.

need help from yj guys

Thank you for your help. I am almost done. I will post pics when it is finished. '92 YJ, chevy 350 .030 over roller rockers new cam ARP bolts throughout, edelbrock intake, edelbrock offroad thunder 670 cfm carb, MSD blaster coil MSD6 offroad MSD distributor, painless wiring front to rear, nv4500 xmsn, atlas II tcase, dana 44 front, ford 9" rear, rubicon 2.5 lift SOA, griffin 3 core alluminum radiator, scratch built aluminum diamond plate dash w/ autometer guages, tom woods long spline double cardan drive shaft, goodyear 37" MTR, bushwhacker fender flares, kc slimlights, warn bumpers w/tire carrier, and others. Trying to tie up the loose and most aggrevating ends. Speedo wiring, new crank pulley, power steering bracket and pump, long travel shocks. If you can be of any help in those areas it would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

RE: not the crank position sensor

I swapped a 350 into my old '88 YJ, and used the stock power steering pump. I pulled a bracket from a GM Van v8 and removed one of the three mounting arms that interfered with the neck of the power steering pump/canister.

RE: handguns or women?

anyone with a Factory Service Manual? Please help

RE: Distributor Drive Gear

Hi,

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out which wire is what. One wire should have +5-volts on it anytime the Jeep is in "RUN". This is the V+ (source) wire. One will be ground. The remaining is the signal wire. The signal wire might also appear to have +5-volts on it if you leave the sensor plugged in while testing, as the sensor is inductive, not resistive. Unplugging the sensor-to-harness connector should make it obvious which wire is the source.

But for the speedometer all you need to be concerned with is the signal wire, as that should be the only wire you need to run from the sensor to the speedometer. The +5 volts and ground wires at the sensor are only to power the sensor. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Re: RE: Question to moderators

I guess I failed to mention that I have rewired with a painless harness from front to rear and all I have to go by are the wires hanging from the connector. Continuity check has not revealed the positive or ground.

RE: Re: RE: New Member At Jeepz :)

Autometer has all the wiring diagrams for almost every vehicle and had my answer in two minutes. red/blk is ground, wht/blk is (5volt power), and blue is signal.

Back