Ax 15 transmission noise

I am new to this group,so thanks for the ad. I just bought a 98 Sahara 4.0, 5 speed. I only had it a few days but just noticed a constant roar from the transmission/transfer case that starts around 20 mph up to 70 mph (as fast as I've had it) transmission feels tight in all gears and shift smooth but firm (no grinding or clanking) I also start to get some vibration from 50 mph and up. If you let off the gas the jeep seems to lose speed quickly like there is drag coming from somewhere. I only noticed the noise with the top and Windows up. If there down or the radio is on you don't even notice it . the noise and drag is the same regardless of which gear I'm in even if you throw the transmission in neutral. Clutch in or out. Doesn't matter. Has brand new 30x9.50 Cooper discovery tires,new rotors,brakes,and front end alignment .eveything operates as it should and runs and drives great ,I was just concerned if the noise is normal for that trans or if it is possible bearing problems in the transmission? Also everyting is stock as far as I know and has no lift thanks any info is appreciated

That noise is not normal. I'd start by draining the transmission fluid and inspecting it for any contamination or brass glitter. Also check for very hot areas of the transmission after a drive.

Back