Axle Questions

Hoyas 011

I have a 97 Wrangler i currently have a Dana 35 with a posi in the rear and a Dana 30 up in front, The question is could you strengthen the Dana 30 so it wont break as frequent or would I just be better of trying to replace the whole axle.

The d30 is a fairly decent axle, can handle up to 33" tires pretty well. I've seen the d35 break much more often.

Are you having any breakage? What's happening?

Well I was offroading and I was doing a hill climb but suddenly my front yoke just tore apart and my universal joint in better words seemed like it exploded. I also replaced the gears in both axles. Any way I heard that d30 was really weak and I was better off just replacing the axle? I'm not sure if that's true or not.

With 32" tires the d30 should hold up pretty well. 9 times out of 10 the d35 rear axle will be the first of the two to fail. Sounds like your failure may not be due to a weak axle, but simply the failure of a serviceable part.

There are no 'easy' front axle upgrades for a TJ, short of a d44 from a Rubicon but it's not much of an upgrade. Problem finding an axle is having to make the wheel lug pattern work as well as welding on all the required brackets.

Back