axle seals

c_herrman

Hey guys,

I posted this yesterday but had'nt gotten a response yet, so I thought i'd get it back to the top of the list....so, here goes....about 7 months ago i put a new one piece axle in my rear drivers side (drive tire)...and everything has been fine with it since....now, i'm replacing the seal on the other side due to a leak....here's what's irritating me, while we had the one side up pulling the axle, the other side (the one fixed a few months back) starts having gear oil run out..... i'm stumped as to why it would do that just now, it's never leaked before.....please help, this one confuses, and irritates me, i really was'nt wanting to pull both axles, but looks like i'm going to have to now.....anyway, thanks in advance for your replies.......
Cory[addsig]

Haven't a clue, but I've heard of slight differences in tolerances with seals. Some report having to buy several seals of the same size to get one that seals correctly. You may need to get another one. Take the shaft with you to purchase the seal, so you can try the fit in the store and be sure it's correct.

All you have to do is post a reply to your original message to get it back to the top. Most just post "BTT" which means, "Back to the top" :-D Much easier than retyping your entire message. No biggie ;-) [addsig]

ill assume you are putting 1piece shafts in an AMC 20, why did you only put one shaft in, and then the other?[addsig]

Did you pack the axle bearings REAL good when you replaced the first axle??
First sign of bad or worn bearings is a axle leak!
:-O [addsig]

Back