axle swap info

dempsy1

ok so I have a rear end out of a 95 chevy 4x4 3.73 gears and good reasons not to use this in an axle swap?

What axle is it? What truck? What bolt pattern? What size tires do you plan on using?

Are you kidding, you're killing me here. Saying its a 95 Z71 tells me only what option package and a year, its like saying it is a red truck. It tells me nothing about the truck to tell what axle it is. I mean is it a pick up; 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, Suburban, Tahoe, all of these were offered with a Z71 package and have different axles. Tell us something so we know what axle you're talking about.
With 33" tires 3/4 ton and 1 ton would be way overkill. Not to mention no matter what axle since it is a GM the lug pattern will not be the same as your front Jeep CJ bolt pattern.

Last edited:

Are you kidding, you're killing me here. Saying its a 95 Z71 tells me only what option package and a year, its like saying it is a red truck. It tells me nothing about the truck to tell what axle it is. I mean is it a pick up; 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, Suburban, Tahoe, all of these were offered with a Z71 package and have different axles. Tell us something so we know what axle you're talking about.
With 33" tires 3/4 ton and 1 ton would be way overkill. Not to mention no matter what axle since it is a GM the lug pattern will not be the same as your front Jeep CJ bolt pattern.

Pay attention, school is in session.

Z71 is only an option package for 88-present 1500 pickups.

The 88-present chevy 1500 rear axle is junk. it's just a wider version of the D35..

well not actually, but might as well be.

It's a C-clip 10 bolt axle, won't handle much more than a 33" tire locked, 35 open is really pushing it.

you would be better getting a pre 87 rear axle for a dirt cheap upgrade, it is a 12 bolt, still C-clip but it is comprable to a 9" axle. unfortunately, ther eis very little aftermarket support for the 10 bolt and even less for the 12 bolt.

If you want to upgrade to a full width, find a Full Floating 14 bolt, they are dirt cheap and plentyful. I bought one last year, in great shape with 4.10 gears open for $75

Pay attention, school is in session.

Z71 is only an option package for 88-present 1500 pickups.

You better be sure about that. My comment about him killing me was in jest, it was a quote from the movie Sand Lot.
I know that statement you made is not true, and I am not even a GM guy. I do believe the z71 was only a 1/2 ton option, there are z71 Tahoe's out there, but I may be wrong there may be more.
A 14 bolt is most certainly one of the strongest axles out there. But with only 33" tires there won't be much diff to ground clearance.

Last edited:
Sorry Ggg... It was ment in jest, but does not change the fact that you were incorrect.... a 1/2 ton truck and a Tahoe are both 1500 trucks (as is some Suburbans) a limited number of Z71 Suburbans were also produced in 1994 in an attempt to stir up sale. with the pending 96 model year pending and requiring airbags and ODBII compatibility(Chevy released in 95), chevy slapped the Z71 sitcker on the side of the suburbans to get them off lots at a discounted price.

Z71 is nothing more than a front carrier skid and a larger transmission skid that offers a tad bit more protection. Included Bilstein shocks, 3.73 gears standard, engine oil cooler, larger transmission cooler and a reaslly cool sticker on the rear.

99-present Z71's also include a revised LSD in the rear, previous models were junk.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree now after learning that the Z71 is a 1/2 ton option that including the heavier trucks was indeed wrong. But like I said I am not a GM guy (nothing wrong with them I just do not own any) but I do know axles. So I could have given advice had I known what truck model the axle was from.
All this is a moot point anyway as it looks like the OP has moved onto other options.:cheers:

one thing to add, I was refering to 1500 not 1500 HD's.

those trucks, 1500 HD are equipt with either 5.7 gas or 6.5 non-turbo diesel, 4l80E transmission and a odd hybrid small ring semi floating 6 lug 14 bolt.

Now I am done.

Not all Z71s have 3.73s. My 94 has 3.42s, bought it to tow my heep and barely go pulls on flat ground.

I never said all z71's had 3.73, it was the standard gear ratio.

On my paper work it lists 373 as the standard gearing as part of off road performance package z71, I wonder if a you/previous owner optioned for a different ratio.

Too add for fun..

I used to tow my jeep with a 92 1500 2wd, 305, 307 gears... man it sucked.. 30mph up hills on the high way.

so I have found some rear axles now go with a rear 44 or a FSJ model 20????????

A Scout II D44 axle is 58" wide.. and has the same 5x5.5" lug pattern as a CJ.

Back