Best States To Wheel

Well, since I detect a truce, I'll venture to add that although I've wheeled coast to coast and found a LOT of places that where a blast, there is no place like home!!! As you can imagine, with about a third the size of the continental US, we have pretty much ant terrain you can hope for (although our slick-rock is pretty pale compared to Moab)! There are a lot of places you can't go with a motorized vehicle, but there are at least as many you can! The state's early history had a lot of roots in mining, and those ol' prospectors cut trails every which way across the state, and they make for a vast network of fun!
I like the desert trails and the mud of the northeast, but Alaska is Jeep paradise!!

I think I join my fellow Jeepzers in drooling enviously at wheelin' in ALASKA!!!!!

C'mon up!!!!

There is a strong military presence here, and a lot of Army and Air Force guys get stationed here and like it so much they come back after they get out or else they put in for one of the bases to be stationed at. There are a few clubs around, but about the most organized and competent is Arctic Offroad, which is comprised about 50/50 military and civilian. If you are Air Force and putting in for a duty station, go with Eielson AFB. Each to his own, but around here you can pretty much pick a direction and go!
I will say, however, you feel a bit isolated sometimes when you can't just hit the interstate for a few hours and hit all the events and jamborees. And shipping for parts is kinda high.

I started a new blog a while back.....guess I should update it a little more often.....might give ya a taste of wheelin' around here!
http://akjeepparadise.blogspot.com/

I'd agree with that one. Alaska's got to be one of the best. Never wheeled but have been up there. Only problem is, there's no running water in the entire state, and mullets are abound. :lol: JK.

Truce? NEVER!!!

C'mon up!!!!........

That would be a dream come true. I had a chance a couple years ago.......divorced..livin' on my own....makin' bookoo money.....tons of vacation time.....old high school friend email's me that she's going up to visit her brother in the "Last Frontier"....arranging money, flights............then...........Mom is retiring to Florida - brother and sis are coming down to help her move!!!:( :( :( ....then, of course, my life took a big right turn.

.............If you are Air Force and putting in for a duty station..........

I'm 53 years old and enjoying life. My "duty station" is quickly becoming wherever mudwoman and I can experience/influence the WORLD!!! (unfortunately, I still have to work!!:( :( )

.............I will say, however, you feel a bit isolated sometimes when you can't just hit the interstate.............

We're all about isolated!!!! Doesn't bother us a bit. I've always been curious about what it would be like golfing at midnight (summer, of course) and those LONG, LONG winters with no light.......................and I could do without interstates, if I wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere!!!

.............I started a new blog a while back.....guess I should update it a little more often.....might give ya a taste of wheelin' around here!
http://akjeepparadise.blogspot.com/

We'll be checkin' it out!!!!!

I'd agree with that one. Alaska's got to be one of the best. Never wheeled but have been up there. Only problem is, there's no running water in the entire state, and mullets are abound. :lol: JK.

Truce? NEVER!!!

Nah!! We have two cities with running water!!!!

And mullets were last week. We're waiting for our 1991 editions of Fashion magazine to come in the mail so we can get into the new styles!

And after I gave ya that link, I tried to put some new pics up there. Sometimes that site works good and sometimes it lets me spend an hour or so of my life trying to upload pics (it says "Uploading...." for a while and then says "Uploaded!",) but they do not show. So I'm now shopping for a new site...I'll keep ya posted!

And after I gave ya that link, I tried to put some new pics up there. Sometimes that site works good and sometimes it lets me spend an hour or so of my life trying to upload pics (it says "Uploading...." for a while and then says "Uploaded!",) but they do not show. So I'm now shopping for a new site...I'll keep ya posted!

Must be that circa 1930's electrical system you all have going up there. :purple: :purple:

Could be!

Or the one of the two telephone wires that run from here to Seattle!!

It's okay, I've lived in El Paso. That place isn't "the land that time forgot" so much as it's a "post-apocalyptic thunderdome." I mean, you go there and you expect to see dudes in mohawks, leather, hockey masks, and donning machine guns running down your rig for gasoline. The road warrior would leave that city because it's too backwards.

I'm not kidding, I have some close friends down there, and ALL 3 of them JUST got email addresses. They thought I was some kind of computer geek because I had high speed internet.

We have high speed too!!!
Just got the new 56 (that's right, 56!)K modem installed!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeee Haaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back