Best States To Wheel

laxpug19

So, for the air force i get to pick 4 states i would like to live in. Based on what they have available... im basing my states solely on wheeling... i might go to tennessee for the mud, or out to arizona for the sand... what do you guys think?

Being an "easterner", I'd go for Tennessee/North Carolina. However, from my few excursions out West, I wouldn't discount anywhere out there.............always been a little partial to Idaho/Montana/Wyoming..........great country and fewer people (ie: more liberal laws - it's more of a "neighbor" thing). But don't be expecting a McDonalds on every corner or a WalMart nearby (that's a BAD thing????)!!

no, id be happy w/o the mcdonalds... but the wal-mart always comes in handy exspecially in those early morning hours. where else can you buy fruits,duct tape, air freshners, a dvd, and some deodorant at 3 am... random list but its true...:lol:

I wouldnt mind setteling down with a house that actually has some land too it... i have survival training out in washington state maybe that will give me ideas...

Utah for Moab definately, CA for the Rubicon/Hammers/Johnson Valley, Pennsylvania for Paragon/Rauch Creek, and Georgia/Alabama for the rest of the southern trails

Don't forget Washington state, we get stuck with the best of them!!!
I guess it all depends upon the type of wheeling you are looking for

So Cal is expensive as all hell. Houses go for at least $500,000 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath home with very little property. I know if you head up towards Modesto/ Stockton area housing is more reasonable and bigger homes and property lots.

Uhwarrie doesn't count for crap. Tellico is one of my favorite places to wheel on the East Coast. But there isn't a terrible lot except for small places to wheel aroudn that area.

I dont have to worry about houses, all provided by the Air Force. im mostly looking for mud, and some woods. no rock crawling.

Oh well I don't have a damn clue then. Tellico is in NC, out near Murphy, and Paragon is in PA, Muddy trails can be had anywhere you go, just find a national forest or something.

In order. I've wheeled in all 5 of the below states.

CA- Rubicon, Nor Cal has the best wheeling especially if you like varied terrain. From the Sierra Nevadas to the Ocean, it's all good. I put CA at #1 because it has a big name spot (Rubicon) as well as consistency throughout the state. And the weather...doesn't get any better. Problem is, it's expensive, but only if you live in the cities. The outskirts and smaller towns are still expensive but manageable.

Colorado- from end to end the next best/most wheeling. I think it's got a leg up on Utah over all IMO, but has nothing comparable to Moab.

Utah- Begins and ends with Moab. But IMO I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the state as a whole.

New Mexico- Could be the most consistent of all the above. It has it all, big mountains, big rocks, sand dunes, forest. New Mexico is more like Colorado than it is like AZ. Cheap to live, Albuquerque is beautiful, and isn't inundated with people. I also think Northern NM is the nicest to camp and fish in, and that includes CO, UT, Montana, and Cali. Weather is great. UROC and the Chili Challenge occur in NM. It's constantly rated in the top 2 every time I pick up a 4x4 mag.

AZ- too hot, but plenty of nice areas.

Personally, if there aren't big mountains around I wouldn't enjoy the area. That's the only problem I have with the East Coast.

Last edited:
New Mexico- Could be the most consistent of all the above. It has it all, big mountains, big rocks, sand dunes, forest. New Mexico is more like Colorado than it is like AZ. Cheap to live, Albuquerque is beautiful, and isn't inundated with people. I also think Northern NM is the nicest to camp and fish in, and that includes CO, UT, Montana, and Cali. Weather is great. UROC and the Chili Challenge occur in NM. It's constantly rated in the top 2 every time I pick up a 4x4 mag.........

Ahhh, yes, New Mexico!! I was out there once in the '70s....Albuquerque, Taos, Taos Pueblo, Arroyo Seco.........beautiful and spiritual country. Mingez, you brought back some very pleasant memories. Definitely a place to consider..................but what about all the UFO's?????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I loved Tellico, Also there is a awesome place in Kentucky for sand-rock wheeling and it's free. I grew up in Alabama and the red clay wheeling is some of the best. Tennessee, Indiana some good ones also. Here in Michigan mostly sand and mud some rock lots of fun through. From the dunes to the woods can't beat it.

if there aren't big mountains around I wouldn't enjoy the area. That's the only problem I have with the East Coast.
Just how big do they have to be to enjoy?

The Appalachians stretch across most of the eastern states, and some are quite sizable. Hiking, skiing, whitewater, whatever your poison... we have it all.

As far as sticking to the topic of offroading, Mountains aren't really a factor though.

Just how big do they have to be to enjoy?

The Appalachians stretch across most of the eastern states, and some are quite sizable. Hiking, skiing, whitewater, whatever your poison... we have it all.

As far as sticking to the topic of offroading, Mountains aren't really a factor though.
Well, I disagree. The Appalachians are nice, but it's not like anyone's flying out from California, UT, Montana, New Mexico or Colorado to go skiing in the Appalachians. Same reasoning here.

More mountains = more terrain= more options. Generally speaking, areas where there are mountains have less people, and consequently more area to conquer. In other words, the bigger the mountains and the more mountains you have, the more options you have. It's for the same reason nobody's flying out from CA, UT, or CO to the Appalachians to go skiing.

Also, from an aesthetics point of veiw (being outdoors is part of the appeal of wheeling, otherwise why not just find some hills in the city) mountains make it much cooler.

Not to mention, those hills you guys call the Appalachians, aren't as aesthetically pleasing to me. Again, just my opinion, and that's what he asked for.

Well Killington is on the East Coast and it is pretty popular with people from all over the US. It's not the best, it's not the most popular, but you can't discount the fact that there is some awesome skiing there:
http://www.killington.com/USfreestyle.html

More mountains = more terrain = more options? What options? The only thing we don't have is a desert (again, speaking in terms of offroading). You all can have the deserts. There's plenty of sand on the shores ;)

Back