Best States To Wheel

Well Killington is on the East Coast and it is pretty popular with people from all over the US. It's not the best, it's not the most popular, but you can't discount the fact that there is some awesome skiing there:
http://www.killington.com/USfreestyle.html

More mountains = more terrain = more options? What options? The only thing we don't have is a desert (again, speaking in terms of offroading). You all can have the deserts. There's plenty of sand on the shores ;)
Ha. Killington? Never heard of it. It might be good, but it's not "The Best" which is what our OP was asking for.

Options? In the sense that in shear square mileage there are more options. We all have flat land. I can find flat land in New York. But what separates our states is the topography. Since the flat parts are essentially a wash, having more mountainous land is an advantage. More streams, more rocks, higher peaks, longer trails, etc etc.

C'mon man, we can debate about this till we turn blue, but do you honestly think the wheeling in ANY Eastern state is better than UT, CO, CA, or NM? No way...especially in terms of OVER ALL wheeling from one border to the other.
Sure you guys have a Paragon or a Tellico, which is definitely comparable, but we have Tellico's and Paragons all over the state. Heck, some of them unfettered, undiscovered and unwheeled.

Sand dunes rule BTW. Ramping your rig 6ft off the top of the dune only to land on fluffy cushions of sand is pretty exhilarating.

:p

Last edited:
So, Mingez, what you're saying is you're not moving out here anytime soon?

Flat land? It's not flat here. You'd have to go to the shore for that.

As for the "best", I never said it was. look at my first post in this thread. Just because our mountains aren't as tall as yours doesn't mean we don't have it all :)

Who needs a stinkin' nosebleed anyhow :purple:

It sflat here on the good ol eastern shore of Maryland. Lots and lots of flat land, but mud is great.

In order. I've wheeled in all 5 of the below states.

CA- Rubicon,

Colorado- .

Utah- .

New Mexico- .

AZ- .

I would have to agree with Mingez's first pick
Cali has the most varied, But Col as a second?!?! please mountianious terrain with snow up to your yin yag every winter!

Arizona as a second, Just as many places to wheel as California, but without the smog. low deserts with sand to high mountious peaks with volcanic cinders. Rock strewn washes to granite bolders near Tucson the size of your house. The best part about AZ is it's location...Cali, to new Mexico Old Mexico to Utah your right in between

Utah with Hill AFB is OK...We have everythnig as well from Deserts to high mountain trails. But we have Moab:p :p :p :p :p of and sand dunes to boot! two diffrent types 9coral pink to white sand with razor back ridges.

And New Mexico last....

Cali has the most varied, But Col as a second?!?! please mountianious terrain with snow up to your yin yag every winter!

Arizona as a second, Just as many places to wheel as California, but without the smog. low deserts with sand to high mountious peaks with volcanic cinders. Rock strewn washes to granite bolders near Tucson the size of your house. The best part about AZ is it's location...Cali, to new Mexico Old Mexico to Utah your right in between

Utah with Hill AFB is OK...We have everythnig as well from Deserts to high mountain trails. But we have Moab:p :p :p :p :p of and sand dunes to boot! two diffrent types 9coral pink to white sand with razor back ridges.

And New Mexico last....

From experience, I'd have to agree with AZ, especially around Tucson! You can find miles and miles of desert trails and washes. If the heat gets to be too much, 45 minutes will land you up on Mt. Lemon with mild 70 degrees. Plus, with the Santa Rita's, Rincons, and two other ranges whose names slip my mind right now all within an hour's drive, there is a lifetime of trails to explore. My uncle has been taking day trips pert near every weekend up into the mountains for nigh on to 40 years and still hasn't even come close to hitting all the trails, abandoned mining roads, ghost towns, etc. If I had my choice, it'd be the Tucson area.

...................And New Mexico last....

Still a heckuva list to be last on!!!!! Maybe one of these days, we'll become "Westerners".............you never know...........we do like to travel around!!!!

And New Mexico last....

First of all, the smog in cali is only in the city. Get into the mountains and it's no different then Colorado or Montana. And all of the smog belongs to LA. LA is not the only city in California people. In fact, it's the worst. San Diego, and San Francisco are much nicer.

Second, I don't think you've wheeled NM enough. AZ can't even compare. IMO. Plus, it's thrice as pretty, and 1/2 as hot. (Yuk) But I will say northern AZ is nice, but not as nice as northern NM, thus why it's last.

Thirdly, I've lived in CO for a total of 7 years (total), and this is the first winter that there has been this much snow in the lower elevations of the mountains. I used to joke that the whole snow Colorado thing was a farce. BTW, I went up into the mountains to Central City last week when my dad was in town and it was warm, pretty, and definitely wheelable.

So :p on you.

Last edited:
Being a native "Zoner" (Arizona) I have never been used to smog When we hit Georgetown I could smell the smog from Sacramento. Personally Arizona has a nice smelling smog..lol!!!
Now to the not enough wheelin in New Mexico thingy...its true..but I never had enough wheeling any where! I will admit NM has some pretty spots but it just cant compare to Arizona.

Now since your a native New Mexicoian your just plain bias, and carry this deep rooted fear and hate of AZ, you have seen its beauty and know its better than your own home state...those of us here simpathise with you and are even willing to help your through this haterid...but the first thing your going to have to do here Mingez is admit you have this bias...and pent up anger and be willing to let it go. Come on Mingez I here for you buddy....take a deep breath...do you need a hug here buddy?...ok let go of that breath....let your anger go with it...just say Arizona is more prettier than AZ... I know you can do it...

Being a native "Zoner" (Arizona) I have never been used to smog When we hit Georgetown I could smell the smog from Sacramento. Personally Arizona has a nice smelling smog..lol!!!
Now to the not enough wheelin in New Mexico thingy...its true..but I never had enough wheeling any where! I will admit NM has some pretty spots but it just cant compare to Arizona.

Now since your a native New Mexicoian your just plain bias, and carry this deep rooted fear and hate of AZ, you have seen its beauty and know its better than your own home state...those of us here simpathise with you and are even willing to help your through this haterid...but the first thing your going to have to do here Mingez is admit you have this bias...and pent up anger and be willing to let it go. Come on Mingez I here for you buddy....take a deep breath...do you need a hug here buddy?...ok let go of that breath....let your anger go with it...just say Arizona is more prettier than AZ... I know you can do it...

Hahahaha! You're too funny Utah. Now my turn:

(Note to Jeepz: Just being playful here and teasing, no real flaming going on.)
Ahem...

Before I begin tearing you a new a-hole, I would like to refer you to the thread about Firefox and the fact that the new version has a spell check. This thread can be found HERE.

Really, you should hook that up, because for you in particular, it'd be worth wild. (see above bold type for typos) :lol:

Anywhoo, as for your retort, and attempt at some "quick wit kumite", you fall short for several reasons... (not the least of which is the complete and total annihilation of the English language)

1- It's a stupid post. Seriously, after the words: "Being a native "Zoner"', one's eyes glaze over with complete boredom, and the ticker starts as IQ points are lost exponentially with every word read. Thanks, we're all now literally stupider for having read that.

2- A big portion of your argument hinges on the fact that you think I consider NM my home state and thus am biased towards NM. I consider CA my home state.

3- I think you're basing your opinion on the fact that you've seen Southern New Mexico, and not Northern NM. Heck, the Pecos wilderness alone bests anything in your lame state, which might I add houses the business offices for the KKK, but I digress. I've (Unfortunately) spent plenty of time outdoors in AZ as I have friends and family all around the state. Especially in the Gila and all around Flagstaff (which I love). But aside from those two areas mentioned, AZ is pretty much a toilet bowl. Hell, even El Pasoans go to AZ and think to themselves, "Forget this, I'm going back home to civilization and clean air."

4- I put AZ on my top 5 list which I think proves I am not biased because of what you call my "haterid" for the state. Other states I've wheeled in which didn't make the list: Texas, Chihuahua (Mexico), Washington (would be #6), Wyoming (Only as a passenger).

5- Finally, you're biased because AZ is your home state. I know you have a "Haterid" for New Mexico because AZ tries to be what only NM succeeds at being: A REAL southwestern state. Your Mexican food sucks, you have only one season, and everyone out there is weathered with skin cancer.

It's okay buddy, I'm here for you....take a deep breath, download the spell checker, and perhaps someone on here might take your opinions as something other than the biased, misspelled rantings that they typically are...

...but probably not.

Obviously, I'm just razzin' ya. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

(/Note to Jeepz: Just being playful here and teasing, no real flaming going on.)

Last edited:
jeez, maybe ill just stay in mass. You guys are crazy. I just wanted to know what states are simply the best to wheel. I never wanted a brawl!!!

maybe this thread should be locked before we start a civil war of jeepz!!!:lol:

jeez, maybe ill just stay in mass. You guys are crazy. I just wanted to know what states are simply the best to wheel. I never wanted a brawl!!!

maybe this thread should be locked before we start a civil war of jeepz!!!:lol:
We're just kiddin' dude. I love that goofy Utah. ;) :lol:

Ok I am hurt…naa not really but I thought you would like to hear me say it...lol
Fox fire would be great...but sadly my little PDA doesn’t have the room to load it (too many GPS maps). So my slaughter of the English language is due to two facts here, first, fat fingers should not be allowed to type on micro-keyboards …and sitting out in 2 degree weather (cigarette break) isn’t a big help either. Second like I said my little PDA doesn’t have the room for a fancy spell checker and having no wish to buy another, so you’re stuck my misspellings when I am outside :p
So in the future I will conduct my harassment indoors on my PC where I have the luxuries of a spell checker, heating and ample time to consider my barbed responses to Arizona wanna-be’s.(1)

Actually folks we do like each other and this post, posted a great opportunity to stick a few Arizona, New Mexico type barbs into each other’s back. Baring the barbed responses to Mingez and I, the list stands with New Mexico last (still not a bad place to be considering we left Nevada, Texas, Idaho, and Wyoming off the list).
Oh and Migez…. “Especially in the Gila and all around Flagstaff (which I love)”.
That’s “Gila Bend” or “Gila River Indian Reservation” (two separate places BTW) there is no place in Az called Gila. (2)

If you want to act like a native at least try to sound like one….(strike three your out)

Ok I am hurt…naa not really but I thought you would like to hear me say it...lol
Fox fire would be great...but sadly my little PDA doesn’t have the room to load it (too many GPS maps). So my slaughter of the English language is due to two facts here, first, fat fingers should not be allowed to type on micro-keyboards …and sitting out in 2 degree weather (cigarette break) isn’t a big help either. Second like I said my little PDA doesn’t have the room for a fancy spell checker and having no wish to buy another, so you’re stuck my misspellings when I am outside :p
So in the future I will conduct my harassment indoors on my PC where I have the luxuries of a spell checker, heating and ample time to consider my barbed responses to Arizona wanna-be’s.(1)

Actually folks we do like each other and this post, posted a great opportunity to stick a few Arizona, New Mexico type barbs into each other’s back. Baring the barbed responses to Mingez and I, the list stands with New Mexico last (still not a bad place to be considering we left Nevada, Texas, Idaho, and Wyoming off the list).
Oh and Migez…. “Especially in the Gila and all around Flagstaff (which I love)”.
That’s “Gila Bend” or “Gila River Indian Reservation” (two separate places BTW) there is no place in Az called Gila. (2)

If you want to act like a native at least try to sound like one….(strike three your out)
Actually, I'm referring to the Gila National Forest which locals refer to as "The Gila" (Remember I lived in Las Cruces closer to that area than you were)

And no, AZ is last on the list, which is a great place to be considering the states we left out!

LOL, I'm glad you've got a great sense of humor. :p

No obla esjeep

San Calos is a good place to wheel....

No way. San Carlos is a great place to go diving and look at hot women. But there is no way in hell that can compete with Oaxaca, Copper Canyon, and Chihuahua.

Obviously, you have no clue about what you're talking about! Leave the Mexico landscape to the guy with the Z at the end of his name...ME. :twisted:

Back