Better Battery

trailjeep

My red top Optima finally died after 6 years. Time to replace it. I have heard that the newer Optima batteries are now made in Mexico. Many people on the message boards say the quality has gone in the toilet. What is a better AGM battery to use with a winch?

I have not heard that.. Optima is made by Interstate battery. I buy the Blemish battery's; I've had 2- red tops and got 6-7 years out of each with winching and what not, I ran a non-blemish yellow top from autozone for 1/2 season last year, battery would never hold a charge over 10 volts; so i went back to the red top; just bought it a month ago from interstate, cost $55 plus tax.

Actually, Johnson Controls acquired Optima battery from a Swedish manufacture back in August, 2000. Optima batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls in their Monterey, Mexico facility. See video: Contact Optima Batteries Ð Contact Us - Customer Service - Public Relations - Advertising

While quality was a major discussion of Jeep and other car forums, they seem to have gotten things ironed out and pretty much back to their old standards now. It seems like for every "my Optima failed" story theres one boasting about reliability and performance. One of the big things is understanding batteries and purchasing the right one for the application at hand.

As another option, the Sears Diehard Platinum batteries are a branded version of Odyssey batteries. They are built to Mil-Spec, great performers and come with a stellar warranty. The Diehards are quite a bit less expensive than the Odyssey brand and right in line with Optimas. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the battery market.

I've run a P-1 (same as Odyssey PC-1500) and have have no problems whatsoever, even after very deeply discharging the battery a couple of time.

Last edited:
I shopped around this evening and decided on the Optima Yellow Top. Just installed it and the Jeep starts right up. Hope it will last with the winch.

lots of battery manufacturers get their batteries from the same place and just put their label on it so be careful. i used to work in a battery shop and i would pick up pallets of batteries in mcallen, that came from mexico, drive them to corpus, and then load them on the interstate truck so he could take them to his shop and put his stickers on them. maybe its just this branch but we never sold to sears and the walmart batteries are the same ones i picked up in mcallen.

trojan makes some great batteries also. deep cycle and other styles from 2 or 4d all the way to motorcycle batteries. always last us over 5 years on daily use golf carts

I've been running the same yellow top for about 6 years now. Had it in my Porsche with electrical problems, and ran it dead at least 5 times. Still runs great in my TJ.

I'll buy another Optima when it's time to shop for a battery.

My Optima Bluetop has lasted a long time and is still running strong, even after a lot of long hard pulls with the winch. Similar to the yellowtop with the addition of stainless threaded studs on the top.

I wanted to chime in here as I have on other thread topics so related. I have a fair amount of experience on this topic after 45 plus years monkeying around with 12 volt systems in my myriad of Jeeps to date.

With that said, due to the nature and build sequence of Optima batteries, no matter where they are constructed are and have been, top flight and top notch in every way. They are manufactured in several countries because so many foreign military use them in their own vehicles. Optimas rock, period!!

With that stated, however, there are other better options. If you have large APUs (NASA Speak for Auxiliary Power Units as on the Shuttle) on your Jeep: welders, air pumps, winches, lighting, stereos, etc, you need to just go to the biggest, baddest electrical system as possible and have it over with.

Thus, get rid of all automotive wiring-appliances and go with industrial grade items for same.

Thus, go with Caterpillar (CAT) or John Deere batteries at 650 amps each and above. 1000amp is better. And go with 2 batteries, not one. And go with welding cable to wire your Jeep, not little 6 gauge auto wiring. And then go to a JD or CAT alternator of at least 100amps or more. That is a wrap, then.

Hope that is helpful.

Robert

Actually, Johnson Controls acquired Optima battery from a Swedish manufacture back in August, 2000. Optima batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls in their Monterey, Mexico facility. See video: Contact Optima Batteries Ð Contact Us - Customer Service - Public Relations - Advertising

Hmmm, apparently Johnson Controls also manufactures batteries for Costco, that'd explain why the dual battery setup in my van has worked well for so long. AND the price is right at Costco. (them wheels in my head are turnin' and not from the sweet taste of Finlandia)

Last edited:
I love my red top. I think you will be fine with the yellow top Optima. You can always get a lemon no matter who you choose. I woudn't worry about it the Optima's are three year free replacement anyway.

I dont know what it takes to get a JD or CAT alternator to bolt in your Jeep, what I do know is your Jeep came off the line with either an 81 or 117 amp alternator in it. This is very very easy and simple to fix, pick your favorite on every corner parts store, for myself I use www.rockauto.com because they are always 1/3 the price of any store.

Anyway, the alternator you want is from the 2002 Dodge Durango with the 5.9L, Rockauto.com has the OEM# 56029701; 136 Amps for $136.79, or the OEM# 56029915; 160 Amps for $175.79.

This is a direct bolt in internaly regulated alternator, the mount in your Jeep is the same and the plug in is the same, bolt it in, plug it in, hook up the main lead, and presto ! ! 136 or 160 amps just like that and way cheaper than your going to find at a Jeep website (I think I saw a Mean Green 140a for $400).

Yea my Mean Green 200A was 400.00 but, at the time it was the only thing I saw. Knowing what I know now though I will get a Durango Alternator the next round. With my stereo and fog lights my alternator on my Jeep was working overtime. Still a good alternator though had it tested when I pulled it off to upgrade. You would think Jeep would have put at least a 150A. O well.

Back