Big Bad Wolf

Wade

I bet you all did not know that there are wolves in south Florida( Tampa/Ocala). i just got back from a short camping trip in Ocala National Forest. The dispersed camping site was too crowded for my liking, so my girlfriend and i drove my jeep to the mid of nowhere. About 10 miles north on a dirt road 6 miles northwest on a small trail that branched off and another 3 miles on a tiny little trail. then we jst went between the trees being careful not to damage any mother earth along the way. We had a good time even though in the middle of the night one night when we heard howling. It was close as heck. a minute later the howling was from different directions and a lot closer, so we packed up quick and did a little night wheeling to get the heck out of there.
i cant find anywhere on the net that there are wolves in florida. but i know what they sound like. i think mabey it was the endangered Red Wolf cuz grey wolves are all up north.
it was not a cyotte or wild dogs, i know what they sound like too.if anyone has ever heard of wolves in Florida lit me know so i dont feel so stupid telling people.

Just be happy it wasn't a panther. Those can be nasty and you can't really defend yourself cause theyre endangered. How was the wheeling I havent made it out to the forest yet?
Mike

the wheeling was a bit bland, but then again id did not do as much exploring as i wanted to, so i dont know all that well

1Well, evidently the Red Wolf is making a come back! To be honest, I had never even heard of them until you mentioned them here.
Here's an article:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/01/0131_030131_redwolf.html

image-missing.png

030131_redwolf-3.jpg

Back