Bikini Top Windshield channel on a TJ

PhattyX

I want to get a bikini top for a 2000 Wrangler. I would like to either have the windshield channel stay on the vehicle with the factory soft top up OR be able to install it when needed without using tools. Are there any brands / items that will allow either of these options?

Basically, this is for my mother's Jeep and I figure if it's not as simple as possible, she won't use it.

Thanks all,

-X

I had thought that bikini tops just used the factory windshield channel, but your right, every top I looked at on 4wd.com required a specific channel.

There has to be one out there that uses a stock soft top channel, but I don't know what it is.

Yep. On my CJ, the channel used for the softtop is the same channel used for the bikini top. So, it's as simple as one top off - other top on.

However, neither TJ has a factory "channel". The soft top has the bar across the front of it that clips in the slots in the windshield behind the sun visors. A bikini top with that same bar/clip setup would be fantastic... but I have yet to find one.

Does your TJ have a slot on the windshield and a tab on the actual soft top that slides into it? If so, you're half way there!

-X

I would assume you could use a "drill" type channel and install it just under the factory top lip (like above the widshield rubber trim but just below the top). You might need to use an old school bikini with this installation (the ones that have the side channels over the doors are pretty well fitted and might not line up right). The old school type goes from the WS channel to the roll bar and has straps to tie it back to the rear of the Jeep (no connection to the side roll bars OR door channel). Best of luck - John

Bestop makes the header type bikini top for TJ's. Your best bet is to call or e-mail them. Be specific on the type your looking for. If i remember correctly, a few years back, i helped someone with this and there's also a bracket for each side of the rear section of the header to the sport bar that keeps the header tilted forward as if it was a full top. Without that, the header will tilt back and will have a loose fit. Bestop also has that bracket.

I had a drill in in my '98. It really comes in handy since it's one less thing you have to remove and store. I've got a no-drill in my '99 and it's not as inconvenient as I thought it would be.

There is a difference between the tops, though, so be careful when ordering. On the drill in, there's a cord sewn into the leading edge of the top that slides into the channel and secures it. In the no-drill, instead of the cord thers a plastic blade that slides into the front edge of the channel. Neither is interchangeable with the other.

FLLawdog,

Were you able to keep the drill-in one on the windshield when the factory softtop was up? If so, was it mounted on the front of the windshield like I think Crazy4diesels is suggesting?

Thanks,

-X

I have a BesTop Header Bikini and Header that have only been mounted once on my 2000 TJ for about three hours (not rained on at all). They are in brand new condition. I paid $110 shipped for the setup and I would let them go for $100 shipped. I just decided I would rather have a full soft top. If you (or anyone else) are interested let me know. It is black, BTW.

Peace! 8)

Back