Thinking about a new Wrangler, need advice

I was going to get the Tow Package with the 2012, but the Sway Control will come standard on all 2013 models, so it's probably cheaper to get a good aftermarket hitch and install it myself. The 3.73 gears will be a must have, the LS, from what I hear is not that great, so I may pass on it and maybe go for the Alpine Stereo instead, thats only $100 more than the LS axle.

I've pretty much decided to go with the connectivity and convience groups as well, there are some nice options that will be used on a daily basis. I'll have to reconsider the slush mats, but something tells me they jumped in price for 2013 as well, and the Quadratech Mats may be cheaper now. I know they were only $43 on the 2012, which was a good deal.

I just signed up for Tread Lightly last Thursday, if I recall, I'll have to wait 30 days before I can use the program. I'm in no hurry as I have a 2010 Prius III and a 2004 TJ X I need to seel so I can self-finance the 2013 JK!

Well, I'm back to square one... I was going to sell the Prius and the Jeep and get a new JK, but now my wife needs about $10K for her business, so I may just sell the Prius and keep the TJ and fix it up some...

Considering a new paint job, new rubber, and a new TrekTop NX. It should feel like a new Jeep after that, and I'll have saved about $25K!

You're right, she's one smart lady! When I was initially posting the ads for my TJ on Craig's List and a couple other free sites, I was amazed at the number of TJ's with twice the mileage mine has, and they were asking any where from $1K to $3K more than my asking price! So, I got to thinking, this Jeep may actually out last a new JK, especially after stalking a couple of the JK Forums and seeing some of the issues that are starting to surface with the new Pentastar engine! A fresh coat of paint, new shoes, and a sporty top and "she" will be good as new!

Yup, just maintain her and she'll last forever. That's part of the reason I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a new one is because I still really like the one I have. New would be nice and shinny and pretty but I still love my ole TJ. Maybe I'll wait for the 10th anniversary Rubi to come out next year. Oh, I think I read that they've resolved the problem with the Pentastar engine ticking noise.

Yup, just maintain her and she'll last forever. That's part of the reason I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a new one is because I still really like the one I have. New would be nice and shinny and pretty but I still love my ole TJ. Maybe I'll wait for the 10th anniversary Rubi to come out next year. Oh, I think I read that they've resolved the problem with the Pentastar engine ticking noise.

Exactly why I think a minimum investment into a nice fresh coat of paint and a couple other upgrades will make it shiney and new again! I may hold out until they actually offer a Wrangler with a diesel and then make the jump (after the bugs are worked out of it).

I saw where the ticking had been identified and fixed, but there appears to be an issue with heads going and having to be replaced. Not sure if these two issues are one in the same or separate. This was one the reasons I was waiting for a 2013 as opposed to getting a 2012.

Well, I'm glad I pulled the ads I had posted for the Jeep, I sold my other car on Friday! It was on Craig's List 2 days, and I got my asking price! I had an offer on the Jeep too before I pulled the ad, but balked because of wanting to keep it. Glad I did or I'd be walking to work!

As for a new Wrangler, I may hold off another year or two and see if they actually put a diesel in the Wrangler! I'd love to have one that gets 30 mpg plus has the low end torque the 4.0L straight 6 delivers!

Back