Thinking about a new Wrangler, need advice

Gotta-P

I'm considering selling my 04 X for a new 2013 Sport and need some advice. There is an option to choose a 3.73 axle ratio over the standard 3.21 ratio for an additional $95.00, I feel this is worth the money, any a thoughts?

Second is the the anti-spin rear axle option for an additional $295.00. This seems a bit steep but is it worth getting it from the factory?

The other options I'm considering are the S Package, the hard top (because I'm considering the BesTop Trek NX as my soft top option), the Connectivity Group (for the hands free phone use while driving), and Convience Group (mainly for the power locks because i'm lazy and won't have to walk around to unlock the door for my wife). Any other must have options?

Last edited:

I would go with the 3.73 gears and I think $95 is a good price it will cost way more to upgrade them and doing so would probably void any warranty you have.

The anti-spin axle is that another way to say posi? or is it a fancy way to say limited slip?

Hard tops can be good but they are big, heavy, and do take up a nice chunk of room. I have always had a hard top but in the past few years haven't had enough help to put it on before winter. So do you live where it will benifit you? You live in GA (not sure how cold winter gets) so will it really benifit you paying the extra $$$ for.

It will when its 100+ outside. Get as many options as you can, helps on the resale or trade in later on down the road

Didn't think about it helping in the heat. I never had AC in my Jeeps so the more wind the better. Yeah go for the top for those hot humid days

I wasn't considering the heat either, but you bring up a really good point! Is the hard top actually insulated?

I have 3.73. It was fine, but I have increased tire size and already wanna change. I have limited slip-- your still ultimately open. It's suppose to send torque to the wheel getting traction even though they are spinning independent, but... meh. I get nothing compared to someone who is locked. When you buy a hard top, you get hard and soft. The new ones break apart making removal and storage easier. The temp control is improved, but mine's off from April to November, so... Hands free- I installed an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth. Love it. Power doors, wtf are doors.

I think think new ones come standard D44, yes? It was an option when I bought. I think that is a good choice if it's not standard.

I have 3.73. It was fine, but I have increased tire size and already wanna change. I have limited slip-- your still ultimately open. It's suppose to send torque to the wheel getting traction even though they are spinning independent, but... meh. I get nothing compared to someone who is locked. When you buy a hard top, you get hard and soft. The new ones break apart making removal and storage easier. The temp control is improved, but mine's off from April to November, so... Hands free- I installed an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth. Love it. Power doors, wtf are doors.

I think think new ones come standard D44, yes? It was an option when I bought. I think that is a good choice if it's not standard.

According to the Window Sticker, the rear axle is a Dana 44, the front axle is Dana 30, unless you're getting a Rubicon, then both are Dana 44s.

I am on the fence about the power locks and window, part of me wants to deck it out from the factory, and the other part says get a bare bones and add aftermarket parts!

I would think about these.
Are you planning to resell?
Do you plan to take it off-road?
Do you want to upgrade, break it, and buy something else; then do it again?
Do you want/like to take the time and effort to install parts?
Jeep gives you one option, aftermarket gives you many brands and options.
Buying factory makes it included in the warranty.

IMO for the lace and frills, it's what you want out of the jeep. Is this your DD? Is it your toy? Do you want it to be both? For example: Those power windows - is it over if you get door deep in water? If you don't plan on getting door deep, or if they can take the water when you do get door deep, then rock it.

All good point to consider... If I were to be door deep in water, I suspect it would not have been intentional! The main use will be tow vehicle behind our Motorhome and weekend run around vehicle. It could be a DD depending on what happens in the job market over the next month. I doubt I'd pull the trigger before the job situation is worked out, and I do have to sell my Jeep and car before making the plunge. everything being covered under warranty is a huge plus! I like doing mods, but time is the main factor, I don't have a lot of it! Thanks for the feedback, it gives me more to think about... Be careful getting drunk in this heat, dehydration and heat stroke can sneak up on you!

Parking lot of a tow shop. Kissed a concrete divider yesterday. Drivable. Unless it gets warm. The radiator is merged with the fan. Wrecked near some little podunk town 500 miles from home where no shop is open on the weekend. 100 miles from where I am currently living. I suspect the frame is bent, but I don't wanna get under and look. I will cry.

Ouch! I hope you are okay! Jeeps can be fixed, people take a bit longer... But then, being an RN I guess you already knew that! LOL!

I'm good, thanks. I'd be in danger of life or limb before I would go to an ER. I am stiff as a board when I try to move, but no numbness or extreme pain with touch, so I declare some whiplash that will resolve in a week with the help of some ibuprofen. :)
If I were going faster at the point of impact then I would be more concerned. Right now, I can only think of my jeep. :( I want this one for life. At least 20+ years is what I want out of him. They may b able to pull that frame out, but I don't have the skills to get a new one.

If the frame's straight, they will have "him" back good as new in no time, just a matter of swapping out some parts. If the frame is bent, it may take a bit longer, but it is amazing what they can do with the technology that's available today! You sound a lot like me, I'd have to be on my death bed to go to an ER, and it would still be kicking and screaming!

Don't you put 'him' in quotes, dude. My baby is a him. Monty. He likes to be called The Full Monty in the summer. :cool:

Now that's clear, what was the title of this thread again?

Well, I stand corrected and put in my place! I hope Monty has a full and speedy recovery so he can enjoy the Full Monty this summer!

Topic? Oh yea, I was looking for advice on a new Jeep!

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got an 04 that I'll be selling soon and will be getting a 13 Rubicon. Definitely go for the 3.73 over the 3.21. Well worth it for only 95. I've not heard any opinions about the new anti-spin axle but it's gotta be better than an open diff, right? Depends on how much you are going to go off road with it. If you plan on getting lockers later you might not want to spend the extra now. I really debated the connectivity and convenience groups as well but have decided to get both. The only other options you might consider are the slush mats and the tow group.

Also if you are a member of tread lightly or work for any of these companies you can get it for 1% under invoice.

Back