Black Wheels?

image-missing.png

Just bought a set of 5 today! Under $200 to the door with centercaps just like the man said!

TC, i bought mine friday night, $170 shipped for all 5. sweet deal, no centercaps though, no chrome thanks.

Isn't stock backspacing on a wrangler like 5.5 inches? It seems really hard to find aftermarket wheels with that kind of backspace. Do the 4" backspaced wheels stick out very far past the flares on a TJ?

Try then WITH the Chrome first. I almost did the Rattle can but tried it out and found that having a little Non-black made it look better. IMO

indiemo said:
Isn't stock backspacing on a wrangler like 5.5 inches? It seems really hard to find aftermarket wheels with that kind of backspace. Do the 4" backspaced wheels stick out very far past the flares on a TJ?

The OEM Cherokee and Wrangler wheels have 5.25" backspacing. 4" of backspacing will definately stck out. I special ordered a set of 15x8 with 4.75" backspacing, but got an e-mail today saying it would be 3-4 weeks.

I would guess on a TJ you might want 4.5" of backspacing to get the tire away from rubbing the LCA's and/or springs, but keep them from rubbing the flares when flexed out. That's only a guess!!!

I (today) changed my order to 16" wheels with 5" backspacing. This will only be 1/4" out further than the stock wheels. I did this because with a 16" wheel, I have alot more options for tire sizes, I am most likely going to go with a 265/75R16, which is a 32x10.50x16. I think they'll work great but it will be a few weeks before I get to find out!

TwistedCopper said:
Nothin' a rattle can can't cure! I'll be putting a can to mine. It IS a sweet deal.
TC, how much extra were your centercaps for your cragars?

I ordered 5 of the 397s from summit racing last week. they're on backorder until the end of the month, but it was the only place I could find that sold them in 4.75" backspacing. they were also a touch more expensive than quadratec, but like anything, you usually end up having to pay for what you really want.

well let me know how painting them works out for you TC. i'm especially interested in how the paint holds up after their first trail ride. if they last well, i'll consider getting the caps for my rig too.

I'm going to use the same paint I put on my last set os stock wheels. VHT polyurethane wheel paint. This time I'll have to use gloss black to match the wheels though. I wheeled that Jeep hard and no paint chips on the wheels.

S.Y.E. question

Important note to all involved:

As you may know, I purchased my black Cragar 397s about 4 weeks ago. Last Saturday, I went off-roading with my trailriding club and the rear right wheel has about a 2" paint chip on the lip where it meets the tire. It's already starting to rust. I realize that this can be easily fixed with a spray can, but just wanted to warn you guys that underneath all that paint, it's still just a steel wheel. I still love my wheels, but keep a can of paint handy, looks like I'm gonna need it.

Even though they're the cheapest wheels out there, you still get mad when stuff like that happens. :roll:

GuessI'd better order an extra can of black!

thanks for the info x_factor. i have the wheels currently sitting in my garage waiting for the rubber so i can install them. it sucks that there was that big of a chip and they started to rust, but hey, i got all 5 shipped to my door for $170. so like TC said, they're the cheapest wheels out there. they look nice. and you get what you pay for, so i guess i wont be too disappointed since i know this all ahead of time. that was one of the reasons i bought them too, i figured that if i ever bent one or chipped one bad enough or whatever, buying another one wont break the bank!

Back