Body Lift

88YJ6

Hey so I am looking to get a little more clearance on my YJ and was thinking about doing a body lift. It looks fairly simple and cheap as far as lifts go. I was only planning on doing a 1" lift. I read a walk through for a TJ, and everything seemed easy enough to do as long as you have jackstands and a place to work. I was wondering if anyone has installed one on a YJ, just to get a bearing on difficulty and time involved.

Hey so I am looking to get a little more clearance on my YJ and was thinking about doing a body lift. It looks fairly simple and cheap as far as lifts go. I was only planning on doing a 1" lift. I read a walk through for a TJ, and everything seemed easy enough to do as long as you have jackstands and a place to work. I was wondering if anyone has installed one on a YJ, just to get a bearing on difficulty and time involved.

One inch is as much as you really want to go. It's very simple. Just shoot all the bolts down before hand. The hardest ones to do are the ones under the Jeep on the x-member in front of the gas tank. If you start on it and don't stop to eat lunch, walk the dog, w/e, you should be able to knock it out in about 2 hours with hand tools.

I did a 1" body lift on my old CJ, and the hardest part was getting the old bolts out - I ended up braking / cutting a couple. You really need to oil the bolts for a couple of days prior.

Get one of the kits that have one piece body mounts that replace your existing old body mounts (not just some pucks to add to your existing mounts) Also make sure to use new bolts (they will come with a full kit).

I used 11 hockey pucks and 11 grade 8 bolts 1" longer than stock. Cost: $25.

Real easy to install, just loosen all the body bolts and only remove one side at a time, jacking the tub up with a floorjack. Hand tighten the first side then move to the other side.

Check fan shroud clearance, move the shroud down or cut the bottom to clear the fan. Or install an electric fan.

If it's an '88 YJ you're looking to do the body lift on, be prepared for rusted and seized body mount bolts. In order to remove my rusted bolts ('93 YJ), I had to cut the floor at the seats around the bolt heads and remove the entire bolt/nut/nut housing setup. This was after liberally spraying with PB Blaster for a few days, using heat (oxy-acetylene), AND an impact wrench. Two bolts are above the fuel tank (which you'll need to remove to access the bolts). Have fun! Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the input guys...
One question
Is the fan shroud mounted to the frame or why does everyone keep talking about moving the fan shroud?
Oh and also did anyone have any problems with any hose lenghts or wire lengths?

Hose lengths and wire lengths are generally okay on YJ's with a 1" BL.

The fan shroud moves up with the body lift as it's attached to the radiator which is attached to the grill. The engine and fan stay in place as the engine is attached to the frame. Thus the fan generally contacts the bottom of the shroud after a BL.

With a 1" it might not be necessary to move the fan shroud, I don't think mine hit.

were are you going to bye your body lift at

Back