body lifts and hockey pucks

Mxpx182lit

I have heard of people making there own body lifts out of hockey pucks and was wondering if anyone had any input on this? If it would be functional and not break anything i think i will do around 2 inch lift with pucks. I would do this because the total price would be about $45 instead of $100. What do y'all think of this.

Justin[addsig]

Puck lifts were posted here back in early to mid winter. Some called em a getto lift and oters said that they were good due to the wider stance adding stibility to the body mounts but not to go over 2 Pucks high and glue your pucks even then.

I personaly say if you are going to pick the body up off the frame a Hockey Puck is as good as any other body lift. You can save a buck when you buy a puck. boy that was bad!

Have never priced a Puck I don't know if I have ever touched a puck, Heck with this I'm going to just get the puck out of here. hehehehehehe Tug :-D [addsig]

:-O id go with an actual body lift...First of all..puck lifts look really cheap and ugly...and anyway, u will need to find two metal rectangles and solder them on your front bumper to support both bottom ends of ur grill. You will also have to lengthen your T-Case shifter...normally these metal parts come with the kit...you will also need bolts..

So its up to you...but for the difference in pricing...Id go with the body lift...(just cuz pucks are ugly!!!)

Good luck in your decision!

NOTE: ive seen puck lift where pucks have started to crack and parts falling off of them...probably due to the flex and also..body lift are not made of rubber like pucks are...there madeout of really stiff plastic :)

Dan
:-D

edited by: DannyBlaze, Mar 25, 2003 - 10:18 PM[addsig]

Considering Pucks cost around what $6 bucks? Plus all the Additional stuff you would need, Hardware wise, I would say that a body lift would be around the same price.

Guesstimate follows this:
6x12= $72 bucks worth of Pucks
2x6=$12 bucks worth of U-Bolts
add in the Little things here and there that you will have to add just to make things look right and ::: POOF!!! ::: you have spent WAY more than you can get a 3" professional kit as listed below from 4wheelparts.com

PER903-3 75-82 Cherokee $107.95 $88.95
PER913-3 72-86 CJ5, CJ7 Scrambler $107.95 $88.95
PER923-3 72-85 J10, J20 Pickup Only $107.95 $88.95
PER933-3 86-95 Wrangler Manual Trans $107.95 $88.95
PER933A-3 86-95 Wrangler Auto Trans $117.95 $95.95
PER943-3 97-01 Wrangler TJ $117.95 $95.95

The Price you would have to pay is the second dollar ammount.

The choice is yours!!!

[addsig]

goldot are you serious?

a guy at my school had a puck lift. i was watchin him drive over some snow drifts after school a month or so back and he got up on one and had the wheel just stuffed in there and there was this loud crack sound and the whole truck shook. he backed off and the rear passenger side was saggin big time. turns out the combo of cold and flex had broken 2 of his 3 pucks in half. hes got a 6 inch suspension lift now. but he did the puck lift for like 40 bucks.[addsig]

If you wanted to go 2 pucks high all around you would actually need 18 pucks (or maybe even 22...im not shure if there are 2 or 3 bolts under each door..

2 front center
12 both sides
4 back near shocks...
4 rear corners

:D

Did mine myself!! No prob! (Performance Accessories kit...around humm...120$ canadian)[addsig]

You can't do a puck lift if you live where it gets cold. If you live in Florida or somewhere down south it is actually OK. But in the winter that crack and they do squeak a lot. :-? [addsig]

You can't do a puck lift if you live where it gets cold. If you live in Florida or somewhere down south it is actually OK. But in the winter that crack and they do squeak a lot. :-?

How do you all know they can't be used in the cold, ever think that hockey players use them frozen? With no problems with even the hardest pro slapshots? Squeek? Never if the body mount bolt is tight :-O

I have done 1" with 11 hockey pucks, done it on three YJ's now with no problems, EVEN DOWN TO WELL BELOW 0*. They're cheap, get my genuine hockey pucks for $0.99 each, entire 1" BL with 11 grade 8 bolts cost $25 :-O Go for it, they are not any uglier than any other BL, and they are wider, which decreases the leverage compared to manuafactured BL's.
[addsig]

I'll agree with Mr. Hunter... They can't look any worse than the stock bushing "puck" that is already on the jeep. and as with ANY underbody part of a jeep, or any vehicle at that... if you keep it maintained, perhaps oiled.... you should not have problems with it any more than you would with other parts[addsig]

you guys are crazy man. i live in canada and had a body lift in the winter here. and our winters get really bad. up to -30c.
pucks are 1$ each and bolts very cheap.
no probs with my setup.
just some guys dont have enough knowledge to give good opinions. too bad since we should help each other and reply only if you have not experienced in the topic.[addsig]

Justin,
I bit the privacy bullet and joined. Just an abbreviated form of what I emailed you already.
Recently purchased a 78 Cherokee with 2" 'puck' lift. Didn't notice any adversity or deterioration. I suppose if new hardware is used, it should be ok.

[addsig]

i AM speaking from experience dude, i watched him snap 2 hockey pucks off his ride. maybe they were defective or something but he sure as hell broke them. he brought it into my auto class the next day to have the remaing pucks removed. sorry for the out burst if your comment wasnt directed at me, im just providin info from MY experiences[addsig]

Sounds like they were either:
  • Loose or installed properly
  • Not genuine hockey pucks, maybe boat trailer rollers?

Doesn't sound like something that would happen when real hockey pucks are installed correctly.[addsig]

i dont know anything about the install, but i can vouch that they were true hockey pucks cause we were kickin them around on the ice afterwards. i was also not a part of the removal of the other pucks afterwards in auto class. me and a friend were working on sway bar for his mustang[addsig]

I know of a few people out here who have done body lifts with hockey pucks and they do crack after a while especially if it's cold. As for pro hockey players using frozen hockey pucks and them not breaking, they are not drilling a hole through it or putting pressure on the side of it. A frozen puck is more brittle and more likely to break. Think about it...rubber will bend when soft but will break if frozen. Ask any reputable shop and they'll all tell you it's unsafe and not worth doing. [addsig]

don't use pucks. spend the money on a good set of lifts. do it right.[addsig]

well i decided to risk it and try it. Took about and hour and 20 bucks. Dads a hockecoach=free pucks and like 20 for bolts. DOnt really mind if one breaks. Im only back 20 washingtons...[addsig]

Ask any reputable shop and they'll all tell you it's unsafe and not worth doing.

I don't go by what a lot of shops say, they are only out to make a buck and sell/install a product. They lose out if you piece together your own mod and install it yourself, what do you expect them to tell you :roll:

Like I said, I've used this on three YJ's with no problems, and one set has been on for over 8years, all have been in subzero weather and wheeled hard, with absolutely NO problems. Believe who you want :-D I'll keep using what works :p [addsig]

I used to live in Pompano Beach Florida and I had 3" lift(3 hockey pucks). I had no problems til I moved up here to NJ. They started cracking in Late December!!!!![addsig]

Back