Brake question

lovell33w

Recently my driver's side front caliper has been freezing up on me. It'll happen if I need to stop faster than usual. Can't begin to tell you how annoying it is having the jeep wanna go left and whenever i hit the brakes, the jeep suddenly wants to go right. Anyhow, if I let her sit for an hour or so, the caliper seems to "unfreeze". Haven't had the time to take the caliper apart until this weekend. Tomorrow I had planned on replacing both front calipers and pads (considering how old they are). Just wanted to get some outside input. Does anyone know what type of pressure regulator these jeeps have (if equipped, maybe that part has gone bad), or does the system just pump fluid through four separate lines? anyhow, appreciate everyone's time.

There is a proportioning valve directly below the master cylinder that is the last junction for the brake fluid before it goes to the front and rear brakes. There are only 3 seperate lines, one for rear and two for front.

A frozen caliper is generally due to contaminants around the piston. I used to have them freeze up after wheelin in the mud. I could get them unfrozen with a c-clamp and it would be fine until the next time I was in the mud.

Replace it and you shouldn't have to worry about it again for quite some time.

Yeah, I replaced the calipers and pads today. That was all that needed to be done. Should've seen the driver's side caliper. Looked like it had been hit with a torch. Brakes work fine now nonetheless. thanks for the feedback

Back