Brake trouble with 87 jeep wagoneer...please help

bigtex

I have an 87 Jeep Wagoneer(looks like a cherokee). I checked the brake pads and they looked fine, but recently I had to start pushing all the way down on the brake pads to get the jeep to stop.

It feels as though the jeep will not stop half the time and i have to pump the brakes to get pressure. I have a steep driveway and when go backwards in the morning down it before it's been driven that day, the jeep won't stop till I get to flat ground.

Could this be the master cylinder or perhaps just air in the brake lines? Has anyone else had this issue. I know I do not have anti-lock brakes, but other than that I have no specific info on the brakes. Thanks for your help!

Pull the tire off and the brake drum to check and see if your leaking any brake fluid any where.

bigtex said:
I have an 87 Jeep Wagoneer(looks like a cherokee). I checked the brake pads and they looked fine, but recently I had to start pushing all the way down on the brake pads to get the jeep to stop.

It feels as though the jeep will not stop half the time and i have to pump the brakes to get pressure. I have a steep driveway and when go backwards in the morning down it before it's been driven that day, the jeep won't stop till I get to flat ground.

Could this be the master cylinder or perhaps just air in the brake lines? Has anyone else had this issue. I know I do not have anti-lock brakes, but other than that I have no specific info on the brakes. Thanks for your help!

R you loosing and brake fluid? Look at the inside of the tires and try to fine any fluids if u had a bad wheel cylinder then u would see fluid in the inside of the tire with the bad part. Other than that try bleeding Ur brakes and see if that helps. But the only way you can get air into the system is if you ran the brake fluid dry or you have a leak some where hope that info helps you

Back