CB mounting

INtj

Like Joopin I had a GC from christmas and I got a CB. Now where is a good place to mount the thing
image-missing.png

I would like to be able to leave it in all the time if possible and would rather not buy a Tuffy box to store the CB overhead unless I have to.

What about the antenna, rear bumper passenger side or spare tire carrier?

Thanks for the input,

INtj

[addsig]

I have a 95 YJ but I took out my cig. lighter/ash tray combo and mounted the C.B. there.

As far as the antenna, I mounted a ball mount just above the right tail light and used a 102" steel whip. I know many do not want to drill a hole in the side of their Jeep to mount the antenna like I did. Im a Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator so we tend to go to the extreme with our radio installations. But there are many other ways to mout your antenna. Just stop in a radio shop or a Radio Shack if there is one near you and you can see all the various mounts and find the one that works best for you.[addsig]

What about the glove box? will it fit in there? If you don't use it you could put it in there an nobody would know the difference... as for the antenna this guy MORGSTER has a jeep with it mounted on the 3rd brakelight thing behind the spare... heres a couple pics I think that looks sweet mounted there, do you have the 3rd light? Sorry for linking your page MORGSTER! If I ever get a CB thats where my antenna is goin... good luck![addsig]

I have a 95 YJ and mounted my CB to the "transmission" hump on the floor. I mounted the antennae to the side of the Jeep. I don't mind drilling holes in it. [addsig]

Do I need to be careful not to block the speaker. I would hate to instal the thing and not be able to hear anything
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You can always buy an external speaker if the place you mount it blocks the speaker. They cost around $15-$20 max. I think just about all C.B.'s have a plug in on the rear for the speaker. Every one I have ever saw has one anyway[addsig]

hmm... i mounted my CB to the side of my center console, its aimed just right too... speaker is nice and loud. i'll get pics up soon (sunday maybe)[addsig]

I used a bracket that raised the CB and had swivels so I can twist and turn it to how I want it. I have pics, but I'm at work right now. I'll find them and post them on my site to show you. [addsig]

i didn't mount it yet but i'm gonna put it inside the consolle between the front seats...

this way it's easy to reach at,i can here the speaker and it stays nice dry 'n mudfree.

the brake light mounted antenna looks great,i think i'll use that idea....[addsig]

I mounted my CB below the air conditioning vent system (which is below the radio) ... has never come loose either and it's out of the way unless you need it.

As for the antenna mount .... my cousin and I rigged our tire stops to accept them, here's the pic. The mount or tire stop have never come loose.

image-missing.png

The antenna wire runs through the right hand tail light and through the top of the enclosure. A little bit of silicone keeps everything dry. Looks good too.

Craig[addsig]

Joopin, No Problem.
image-missing.png

I mounted my CB inside the center Master-Rac box (between the front seats) for ease of use, safety (lockable) and it's a good place to keep clean and dry.

I built the third brake light and mounted the antenna there for several reasons.

One... To keep it out of the way.

Two... That it swings with the tire carrier and allows the rear window to open.

Three ...The height. I have a 2 foot antenna, works great, and again it doesn't get in the way.

Four...It's mine and I want it there.

For better reception (Mountain terrain?) I switch to the 4 footer that stays strapped to the rollcage inside until needed.

Note: I have still not found a place where the 2 footer didn't work just fine.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hay i put mine by the ash tray i just moved the ash tray over.As for the antenna i just mounted it to the outside of the tire stop with the wire coming out my back window zipper. Well it works good and i did't have to drill any holes in my jeep. Hoped that help.[addsig]

Here's mine
image-missing.png
The part that goes on that bracket adjusts to any size CB and will allow it to turn 360 degrees and tilt[addsig]

and here's the final
image-missing.png
Sorry, kinda blurry. But you get the idea[addsig]

I picked up the 2" fire stick from the audio store today if you put it on the third brake light did you just mount it to a piece of metal already on there or make a bracket?

I am still not sure where I should put the CB
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I thought about the glovebox but I don't think it will fit.

I am really not sure where I want to put the CB.

Does anyone with a TJ have pictures of where they put their CB
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Thanks for all the help with the antenna.

You guys are great,

INtj

[addsig]

hey bigTlilODD

i really like the braket you got for your CB, where did you get from?

what is the best size antenna you should have? i want an eight footer
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks ExtremeYJ, I got it from a CB shop that's right next to a truck stop, here in Albuquerque. The box was all white and didn't have a brand name on it. I've been looking on-line for one of these, to help the people of this thread out, but can't find it. I suspect that any "trucker" cb shop would have this one or one similiar. The great part is all I used to mount it was 4 self-tapping screws. Sorry, that's not much help.[addsig]

thanks for the information bigTlilODD,

theres a big CB radio store in FL, and ill see what they got, thanks[addsig]

I to am a HAM radio operator, but was a CB'er first. You asked where/how to mount an antenna? The first place I choose to install my 102" whip was on a ball, I drilled the huge hole for it in my rear quarter panel, passanger side. The CB & antenna combo I had then worked great! (cleard the spectators from the trails as I came bouncing by too

!) But, as my level of experience increased, and my jeep got more capable off-road, I soon ripped the darn ball mount right off the side of the jeep! Slammed a huge redwood stump with it. Had the stump not eaten it off the jeep, the next set of boulders I had to navigate would have!.

So, you kinda have to plan ahead for your antenna location. Will you be doing extream wheeling, or just light trails such as fire roads etc... The quarted panel location is an ideal spot, it offers a good flat surface, easy access to the back for connections, but the ball is very succeptable to trail damage when located there.

Placing the mount (ball, spring whatever) to the back of the vehicle, will protect it from trail damage. Currently, both my antennas are located on my jeep rack, which is just a little narrower than the back of the jeep. The antennas are protected, and up high.

(CB and 2meter HAM)

Good luck with your installation, and enjoy the day!

[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

!) But, as my level of experience increased, and my jeep got more capable off-road, I soon ripped the darn ball mount right off the side of the jeep! Slammed a huge redwood stump with it. Had the stump not eaten it off the jeep, the next set of boulders I had to navigate would have!.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thought about that so thats why I mounted my 102" whip on the back just above the tail light. I am getting ready to mount a 2 meter whip on the drivers side in the same location.

73's

Chris

ke3on[addsig]

Back