Change Original Carb?

elkster

Hey folks, I need some nudging. I just returned from the Colorado mountains in my 76 CJ5 w/258. It has the original 1 barrel Carter. Its always leaked some gas when off-level, but this time I was worried. And it didn't want to idle between climbs. I called my Jeep parts folks and they strongly suggested a TBI inj. system @ at about $2800 installed. Wow. Hearing my "wow", they then suggested a 2 barrel Weber at $360 over the counter. Then I called a respected carb shop and he says he would stick with the original Carter and let him make it new again for $200.
Knowing many here have faced this issue, what is the overwhelming conclusion? I'm not looking for more performance outta my motor. I just want a safe and reliable vehicle. OK, maybe better gas mileage would be OK...nudge me in a direction. Thanks.

Now that my weber is mostly working (except the choke) I am very happy with it. I have also heard about the motorcraft but someone else will have to field that question. I have the 80 cj5 258.

You can get great performance from the Motorcraft 2150 for a lot less $$. Look for Tug's post in this forum, he's putting one in his CJ.

You can get one for $15 HERE :D

I don't know where you got your prices but I got my Weber for 175.00. Brand new. Do a search for Collins bros Jeep on the internet. Thats who I got it from. I have not had a problem with the Weber.

Back