Chevy 350 vs Straight 6

vavs

Hey guys,
Just wanted to know your opinions on engines. Right now I am driving a 1995 YJ with the 2.5L and I want to upgrade later to either a chevy 350 or Jeeps Inline 6 cyclinder. Help me out here.
vavs[addsig]

Hey Raven, There is nothing decent about the straight six, basically it is nothing more than a POS! If I were you I would go with the 350. Not only is it a better engine all around mechanically but it will give you the extra pony's to get through some hairy stuff.[addsig]

What other plans do you have? Tires, lift, etc...just trying to see how much power is necessary. ...although there is never enough power...just enough to pay for gas. I've heard that the I-6 has almost as much torque as most V-8's. But DAMN DO I LOVE THE SOUND OF A V-8!!!!! On a separate note...I once saw a Jeep with a Viper motor in it in an old JP magazine...awesome.[addsig]

To be honest with you converting your jeep to a I6 is almost as expensive as converting to a 350, i did my 350 swap for 5,000 all together, parts/adapters/labor and it was done in 4 days. I had considered swapping in the 6 and what really swayed my descision was that a jeep with a 4.0 is still just a regular jeep, as many jeeps come with the 4.0, however no jeeps come with a 350 so it makes your jeep even that much more unique, and if you were ever interested in selling it can really help the resale value however you do have to worry about vehicle inspections and emissions and the such so you should check into your states laws on the matter, in MD vehicles are only inspected at the time of purchase so it was never really a problem, one other alternative is most states offer some type of Street rod tags that allow vehicles with heavily modified engines to be exempt from certain parts of inspections and emissions. if you have any other questions just ask.

Quik[addsig]

any q's...well now that you mention. Quick - $5K total. Includes all cool stuff like engine components and accessories...ie. alternator, computer and stuff, wiring, adapts, and everything else? Obviously not transmission and t-case. I'd be interested in all the 411. thanks - Matt.[addsig]

I beg to differ with RompIt... the straight 6 (4.0HO) is an amazing motor, no POS about it... rather than to go with a V8 (which I would LOVE to do) I am going to stroke my 4.0 to a 4.6L. It will be A) cheaper B) easier C) still Jeep D) unique. Yeah a 350 is MUCH more bad ass. The stock jeep transmissions are junk and will not stand long to the power created by that. Plus the rest of the stock parts... They are not really sough parts, that's a lot of torque. A stroked 4.0 can produce the HP and torque of many 350's anyway. If I had the money, I'd go 350, but since I don't... I'm going the inexpensive and unique way, and also staying Jeep by working the 4.0[addsig]

I am going to stroke my 4.0 to a 4.6L. The stock jeep transmissions are junk and will not stand long to the power created by that. Plus the rest of the stock parts... They are not really tough parts, that's a lot of torque. A stroked 4.0 can produce the HP and torque of many 350's anyway.

You are saying the stock trannies and other parts will not handle the torque of a 350, yet you are going to stroke your 4.0L and claim it's similar in HP and torque to many 350's? Is this a logical thing to do, since you KNOW the transmission and other parts will not handle the power :lol:

I swapped in a 350 in my '88 YJ, and ran the stock transmission and axles. It held up just fine, even with hard wheelin, 33" tires, and a heavy right foot. Rear u-joints were a different story :roll:

Like mentioned above, if you swap out the 2.5L, might as well broaden your choice and not use the 4.0L, otherwise get rid of your jeep and get a 4.0L jeep, it's cheaper and more reliable.

If I were to do it again, I'd swap my 2.5L for GM's 4.3L Vortec V6, now that's a hell of an engine in a smaller, lighter package than the v8. Be unique, there are enough 350 jeeps out there. I'll keep my 2.5L :p [addsig]

I think we misunderstood some things...
You are saying the stock trannies and other parts will not handle the torque of a 350, yet you are going to stroke your 4.0L and claim it's similar in HP and torque to many 350's? Is this a logical thing to do, since you KNOW the transmission and other parts will not handle the power
Never did I say that i KNOW that a transmission and drivetrain will not handle the torque... I said they will not last long, its a different story. I can handle standing naked in sub-zero temperatures, but in due time, I won't be quite the way I should be, I wont last long. If you put a piece of junk behind a great motor, it will get beat. Especially when we're talking swapping from a 2.5, which has the AX-5. the AX-15 is a little tougher, which could stand to it somewhat better, but the 5 is just something tossed in to get a Jeep to move under overwhelming brutality of a 4 cylinder. Having a good clutch will keep a lot of that from happening. And yes, stroking it WILL be logical. I want the torque, I want to stay with the AMC motor, and I like to be able to fit a wrench in my engine bay. I HATE the AX-(anything)... When I upgrade the motor... the japanese junkbox is getting sold, as well as the axles...But then, like you say, the Ujoints are still the weak link. There's no way around that. Any wheeler gets to know about all that. and YES... I agree very much about the vortec 4.3.... that is an AMAZING motor... other than sound... when you drive a chevy with a 4.3... you wouldn't know its not a V8. and as far as upgrading from a 2.5 to a 4.0... if you're gonna pull everything and change it all... you'd be better selling it and getting a 4.0, like mentioned.

edited by: Snitty, Feb 03, 2003 - 08:02 AM[addsig]

I'm just fine with my 4.2 I6. It sounds pretty nice and I'm adding headers to it soon. I don't wanna put in the time, money and effort to swap it out for a 350. My jeep doesn't even cost as much as it would cost to put one in. [addsig]

Natty, the 5K included the engine, a locally rebuilt one, a rebuilt high performance TH350 Auto transmission, B&M truck shifter, and all neccesary engine components, brackets, hoses, belts, pulleys, mounts, adapters, and labor, all included from the time my jeep was a 2.5 L till it was a 350 cost exactly $5,197.44 :)[addsig]

ohh, and also that included a JB conversion tail shaft fixed yoke kit, and a Custom built tom woods CV driveshaft....and also a new radiator for better cooling....still running stock axels and they hadnt had any problems so far although the jeep is sitting in the shop again cause it pushed a rod after only 500 miles :-x so now im waiting on waranty work to be done.

Quik[addsig]

I love the I-6...my 4.0L with some extra performance goodies provides ample HP and torque...reliable engine...no problems here...take care, Patti[addsig]

If and when My little 4 banger gives up the ghost I will go bigger rather than rebuild. If I could have more fun with more cylinders I don't know if I could stand it! Tug[addsig]

Quick - thanks for the info. My engine is on the verge of 200K probably by years end and debating rebuilding the current engine, getting a new 4.0L, or the V-8...just want to minimize the expense...ie. gearing, axles, etc. What about a supercharger instead of a V-8?[addsig]

for the price of the supercharger you could put a 350 in their, my buddy did the 350 in his yj also, decided to run with the stock Slip yoke, stock shaft, went with a used engine and transmission that he pulled out of an old blazer and just did a mild rebuild on both, all together his was only like $3500 with labor mine was more expensive becaue i went with all new/reman components, and a high performance transmission, as well as SYE and new CV shaft...i think the supercharger they sell for this is almost $4,500!! if you found the right engine/transmission you could do a TBI swap for about that much!

Quik[addsig]

I'm with you on the new guts to go with the power...my thinking is that the stock parts will eventually break under the added stress, so why not change them out before they break...and possibly take other more expensive parts with them. However that's a huge chunk-o-change for either option. 1st...win lottery, 2nd... :lol: [addsig]

yeah, for me it was a summers worth of 60 hour work weeks, but im happy with it :)

Quik[addsig]

I am completely pleased with the 4.0L, however at 120,000 I sucked in gallons of water and blew the engine. I have 4.3L that I plan to swap. I figure that since it will be around the same performance I can get many trouble free miles out of it mated to my stock drivetrain. I expect about a $1500 swap not including the motor.

I hear way more positives to the 4.0L and probably an average of 200,000 mile life. Unless you quench the ponies thurst at the local water hole. I will miss the motor.

I thought about the V8 swap. Keep in mind murphies laws - IF Tom, Dick, and Harry swapped a V8 and have had no problems you will most likely rip the whole drivetrain to peices as soon as leave the driveway the first time.

[addsig]

The 6cyl is not a P.O.S.! Plain and simple. Sure it's had it moments, but I positive there are 350's that have had their monemts as well! Fuel injected 6's are great off road motors, producing gobbs od low end torque! Where and when it's needed! off-road! Yeah, the 350 will produce way more HP, but at the RPMs it make it, things will break when off road. The six, makes is power at low RPM.
What you wan't to do is totally your decission, as you know. All we can do is offer what "we" feel and/or know to be true from our experiences. Mine happens to be 20+yrs with the 6cyl.
Would I like to have a V8 in my CJ-5? Yeah, but only for the fact that when I wheel, I go for days, and carry a lot of eqipment. The V8 is a nice thing to have on the HWY ot haul all that crap up the hill at speed.
Do I want to spend $5k $6K to convert it? No. My six does just fine!
One can't just say that one motor is a P.O.S. over another, granted I believe the 4cyl is useless, but it performs as it was designed to. As does the 6.
All depends on what your happy with, and what your going to use it for

[addsig]

I believe in brand loyalty here. Would never put a shivvy engine in my Jeep. lol How ever I have a Chrysler 383 big block sitting around.... hmm wonder how hard it would be to put that in? :lol: [addsig]

Back