control arm rub

jeeperjoe

i am looking at the RE 3.5 lift with 31x10.5(BFG A/Ts). before i lift i want to clear up all the little things and i'm a little concerned about rub on the control arm. i was wondering if anyone has heard of or had this problem?
and would a smaller backspace clear it up?

I know that you can use control arms from a grand cherokee and that will cure that problem, because they are angled instead of straight.

XJWJarms-3.jpg

[XJ(top) and WJ(bottom) control arms]

They don't just bolt-in (but almost). The WJ control arm pockets are wider than the XJs (so are the bushings), so you would have to grind down the bushings to the same width as the XJ arm's bushings.

Problem solved.

Wheels with less backspacing will help, but the rubbing shouldn't be too bad with only 31" tires. The important thing is to make sure the front axle is centered (by correcting the track bar after the lift). The lift alone will cause the axle to be offcenter and cause one front tire to run a control arm worse than another.

i didnt have any rubbing issues when i had a 3 inch kit and 31s. i do now and im planning on getting some wj arms.

thanks for the input. the RE kit comes with arms. although they are strait, they look a little narrower than stock. i wonder if they would work. i might have to install them and see. and then figure somethin outif they rub.

jeeperjoe said:
thanks for the input. the RE kit comes with arms. although they are strait, they look a little narrower than stock. i wonder if they would work. i might have to install them and see. and then figure somethin outif they rub.

If they make them, maybe see if R.E. could substitute a set of WJ arms in there instead?

Back