Conversion help

YJ-Ray

Posted recently about swapping a Chevy 350 into my jeep using Novak adapter parts... I am about to start ordering parts and I was wondering if anybody has done this before and knows which I should order and which parts I can retain...
I have an old k5 blazer I'm pulling the motor, bell housing , bracketry, accessories, carburetor, distributor, radiator and all that... I'm retaining my ax15 transmission and 231 transfer case...
I know I need to buy the adapter plate for the bell housing to transmission, a fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate, and a pilot bushing...
Is there anything else I need for the transmission to work with the engine for instance do I need a different throw out bearing?
Also what about engine mounts I know that Novak sells a set but I was wondering if anybody knew if I had to use those or can I use the mounts already in the jeep from the 4.2l I6

The fun don't begin until the road ends!

Also The 350 already has headers so exhaust Clarence shouldn't be an issue

Thanks in advance for the help

why not use the chevy transmission also? then you can just weld in some mount adapters and go.

thats my plan on my 302/c6 swap into my jeep. use as much ford stuff as possible so i don;t have to buy any outrageously priced adapters from novak, advanced, or that other adapter company

dang, that sucks. so you are going to have to spend the money on the trans adapter and the junk that goes along with that. bummer.

Also, a stock carbed truck 350 (73-85) doesn't put out all that much more power and torque than a stock 4.2. Assuming the AX15 is in good repair, it will be fine.

I have used Novak adapters before with good sucees, as for the motor mounts, I always make my own, I personally find them over priced for a sleaved bushing and some metal.

Well I can weld but I don't trust my abilities enough to make the motor mounts myself lol just enough to weld them in... Also another question that just hit me I know I have to get the clutch retrofit kit and all that for the swap but what about the bell housing coming off the donor vehicle it's an automatic is there going to be a hole for the fork and spot to mount the slave cylinder or do I need to buy one from a junk yard that came off a manual... Since it was an automatic I have to get a clutch and pressure plate And what about throw out bearing do I just get any old Chevy throw out bearing or what

Since you said carbed 350, the transmission is most likely a TH350, the bell housing is part of the tranmission. unless the trans is a SM 465 3 speed. Then there will be provisions for a mechanical clutch.

Also you can run an external slave hydraulic clutch and will only require you to drill a couple small holes.

I'm pretty sure it is a turbo 350 trans so I'm gonna get a bell housing off of eBay that's the cheapest place I'm finding them...
I wish there was somewhere that sold a full kit for my application but I haven't found anything like that so I'm gonna have to get my parts individually

Yup, unfortunately.

At least they sell adapters for your trans. They sell nothing for my tf999

Well I have an 88 1/2 so I have the ax15 trans the 231 transfer case and the galvanized steel frame... The ax15 is supposed to be the only jeep transmission worth using with a 350

that is what i hear but i still wish they made one for the tf999. they put the amc v8s behind it and it was fine so it should be fine for a sbc or sbf. oh well.

when i did my 383 stroker i used a th400 with a np 205 t case got the motor mounts from advanced adaptor belive it or not they where the mounts used on the 57 chevy bel

I just bought a 1986 cj7 with a i4 and im thinking about pulling a 351 sb out of a ford bronco 1996 i want to pull the steering collumn, moter(FI) trani and transfer box everything radiater and all from doner and and putting in my cj. I was told that this wasnt possible (me being a girl and all Im sure thats why i was told that but i wanted to ask . Is this possible. and how big a head ache.

The ford likely has a driver-side drop front axle, and your CJ is a passenger side drop front axle, so that's not compatible without either using a different transfer case or a different front axle. The rest can be made to work a little easier.

yea i didnt even think about that. its all new to me so THANKS for the help. Can you tell me what V8 will be the easiest to swap. I have a dana ??? 4 SPEED trainy. I also want to do a swap to get some power steering on this project. Thanks

I like your Army logo. I spent 5 years in the army 8th 101. Ft Campbell KY.

Back