Convertable top

piratessoul

Can I get a convertable top for my '95 YJ? I mean the one that folds down. I have a hard top and want the versatility for summer driving.

Sounds like you want a soft top. The soft top will cost somewhere between 500 and 1000 dollars, depending on how nice you want it. You can get it from just about any online retailer, as well as the guys in our vendor's section.

Since you have a hard top, you'll need to get the softop "hardware" - this is the skeleton that supports the canvas top. You'll also need what's called a windshield channel, the portion that connects the top to the windshield.

You may want to save some money and buy one off of ebay:
JEEP WRANGLER YJ 87-95 Soft Top, Doors & Frame : eBay Motors (item 130386190313 end time May-02-10 17:06:37 PDT)

Try my pal Blaze Alackness at "used parts for jeeps" salvage in northern Penna. He has really good deals and my be able to fix ya up. Tell him Terry told ya. His phone # is 814-544-7707 Good luck Heminut

I was notified about my not being at this site for a while. I have been battling cancer and soon will start treatments of live TB germs inserted into my bladder to eat the cancer. I have about an 80% chance now....sorry I havent written sooner. heminut

DAMN heminut! That sucks. I hope you are OK. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

TerryMason & piratessoul - That top will NOT work. It is for a YJ that has 1/2 doors (1/2 doors have a squared off profile, hard doors have a rounded profile). You will need one like this:
Bestop 54599-15 - Bestop® Supertop® with Tinted Windows for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

DAMN heminut, I can't get past that. I really hope you are OK.

Kevin

I'm really sorry to hear that, Heminut! I'll be praying for you as well.

As for the top, I have both the full and half doors. The half door tops have square corners. A friend gave me a top with the composite (rounded) mouldings. I think it's the same as the one in Kevin's link.

Problem is, I don't have all the hardware or the zip out windows, and I don't even know if it's for a YJ. I'm just going to get a new one.

Thank's Kevin, for the info. I just want to make sure that I get one that I can let up and down easily.

I just want to make sure that I get one that I can let up and down easily.
That's not gunna happen in a yj. I've had both tops, and both were a pain. They are different, but both are a pain. They are easier to deal with with two people.

Good luck!
Kevin

O.K. So... Even though it's a pain, the top does work like a convertable car top? Which one?

If both work, I want the one that works with the half doors and square cornered door tops.

Any help?

O.K. So... Even though it's a pain, the top does work like a convertable car top? Which one?

If both work, I want the one that works with the half doors and square cornered door tops.

Any help?
Both/all soft tops come down. It's just that with a yj, it is not as easy as a standard convertable (un-clip the front, put it down, drive). It is a multi-step process.
- zip out windows
- find a place to store them
- roll up back window
- un-clip front and back cloth
- un-clip the frame from the windshield
- figure a way to bunch up all that fabric and collapse the frame at the same time.

I've never timed it, but I guess it takes me 5-10min to put down, 10-15 to put up.. Maybe it just feels that long.:???:

You should have an easier time finding the square type top.
kevin

Youtube to the rescue.

This is for a newer Jeep than yours, so it's actually alittle easier, but you get the idea

I find it easier to remove the hole top instead of putting it down.I do have a TJ not sure if a YJ is different,but I picked up some quick disconnects for the braces where they attach to the roll bar.

hzryr61: Thanks a lot.I am hopeful and gonna fight like a madman !

I noticed ya were addressing a Terry Mason. By any chance does he live in Atlanta ? I used to work with his brother jim I think back in houston in 1980. lost track of so many good folks thru the years.appreciate the prayers. Terry Blow

Re: hzryr61: Thanks a lot.I am hopeful and gonna fight like a madman !

I noticed ya were addressing a Terry Mason. By any chance does he live in Atlanta ? I used to work with his brother jim I think back in houston in 1980. lost track of so many good folks thru the years.appreciate the prayers. Terry Blow

No, I live in Virginia Beach

Another option is to get a frameless fastback top like the one Viking Tops used to sell (I think Rampage now sells them). Dont know the YJ is available yet, though (it was on development last time I checked).

Back