Coolant Leak

PS89YJ

I have a small leak out of the automatic cooling hook up in the radiator, I have a manual so it is plugged. There is a nut on a thread that looks like it tightens a washer to the radiator. I've tried to tighten the nut but it has no effect. Can anyone tell me how this seals the connection, is the seal on the inside or outside of the radiator? Can I remove the nut and replace the external washer to reseal the leak? My first thought was to just replace the radiator with a all metal radiator and get rid of the plastic.

Thanks
Paul

A plastic tanked radiator would be of concern if the tanks are leaking at the seams or the tanks themselves have developed cracks and are spilling out coolant at an alarming rate.
It is a little unclear which "nut" your speaking of , possible to post a picture ? Until then , do you mean what's plugging the radiator on the transmission cooler lines (auto) ? Since you have manual trans , yes , there will be no cooler lines but what is leaking ? I have to assume engine coolant. I ask because if coolant is passing the seal(s) where the auto trans cooler bolts through the tank , you may be able to try a replacement seal to stop the leak. Be careful not to over tighten the nut that hold the internal trans cooler tank to the plastic side tanks. You don't want to cause cracks , hoping there are none now. Best beet is to ask autozone to pressure rest your radiator and wherever your leak is , the pressure will force out fluid and you will find your leak.

Yes, it is a coolant leak from where the transmission cooler line attaches to the radiator. There is what looks like a treaded 1/2' pipe coming out of the plastic tank that has interior threads to attach the cooling lines to, no cooling lines attached as it is a manual trans. The leak is between the tank and the washer?/nut. I assume the cooler in the tank has a flange which is pressed against the tank by the washer?/nut on the exterior. I'm looking for conformation before jumping into the fix also any recommendations on a good replacement radiator would be appreciated, something with 2 or 3 cores.

Thanks,
Paul

Buy OEM radiators. Others state they are the same but fin density is different. This will lead to cooling issues later.

I have no problems with a 3 core aluminum radiator from champion, off ebay. Run that with an 485 flex e fan. Have no problems running 210 here in az desert. Can crawl all day without the temp going over the center mark.

I agree with Bounty_Hunter , coolant should not be in the transmission line . I've seen the radiator internal auto trans cooling tank rot out on a radiator which caused cooling fin clogging issues once . Regret not posting this for your ettification. It is wisest and best as previously posted by all members involved to replace radiator . A leaking tank will eventually lead to replacement soon . I'd say look for a manual trans radiator following the advice from members previous posts to avoid future issues of auto trans cooling tank rot . It is obvious the current installed radiator is not the correct application and was most likely installed as a quick swap solution with what was on hand at the time .

Thanks for the replies, a new radiator has been ordered.

Back