custom console/dashboard

pizaba

Hey guys,

Long time no see. Long story short, I'm planning on making my own custom dashboard. I work at an aircraft MFG plan now and I have access to Carbon fiber(cf)/plexiglass(pg)/fiber glass(fg) scraps/molds/ovens and whatnot. I have a a very foggy idea of what I want to do. I have a CB radio that needs to be installed, and I've always been unhappy with that little catch-all on top of the radio, so I thought if I mount the CB, make a fg case and make the catch all bigger/deeper, that would be sweet. And since I can get major panels of scrap cf... I think I'm going to try to replace most of my dashboard panels with cf. And while I'm doing that, I can upgrade my center console and pump out something more HSLD. You like that idea? Any suggestions to a newb-fabricator?

The addition to the catch-all would house the cb and have space/integrated cell phone mount/wiring for hands free stuff/navigation. everything would get a fresh coat of paint.... most likely the bed liner spray can stuff you find at wal-mart. And hey! If I'm overhauling my entire dashboard, I could integrate a holster under the steering column for the 9mm. That'd be a good spot me thinks.

The center console would most likely be an old ammo can that I'd treat with some fg plies and/or cf panels. (I can't warp the cf since it's already cooked, I'd need to fg it to smooth/round the corners)

This is a huge undertaking and it'll take a long time for me to round up all the materials and make the molds or whatever I need from work, but I think that'd be a sweet ass/cheap ass upgrade to big blue.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this? Worth doing?

Nice ideas, lots of work great undertaking..... What size amo can??? If you go through all that, I will recommend a 50 caliber can so you have more space. Carbon fiber looks good but I am not so sure for the dashboard on a jeep, just a matter of preference. I will rather do it out of aluminum and powder coat it. While carbon fiber is tough and light, the final finish is succeptable to scratching. Powder coating is tougher as far as final finish is concerned. I baby my Jeep but I also don't like the idea of having to worry about every little scratch.... The CB idea sounds good to me. I don't have one but if I did, I never liked the idea of a overhead setup. Keep it simple, keep it Klein and make sure it matches the style of your car. Remember, no spinners on a Jeep.
Big wave to you,

Back