D35 locker or not

Chas Motley

Hello i am a teen boy who has a 92 jeep yj i love to wheel always have my jeep has a 4.5 inch lift with 32s and im wondering if it is worth it to put a locker in the back on the d35 or if it is a waste of time and money

You have to decide if it's worth it to you? A lot of people will tell you its a waste because of horror stories they have read on the net that have been retold and retold till people think they are true. Every axke has someone who has broken it. I have never broken a d35 on any of the jeeps I have owned and one of the jeeps was a sleeper two wheel drive used to embarrass kids in their Hondas.

I suggest no. The d35 c-clip axles are prone to breakage when locked. They don't have the strength to sustain the sheer force of an automatic locking differential.

The d35 will last a little longer if you run a selectable locker or lincoln locker as there is no sheer force when engaging the locker.

Your d35 axle is already over-worked due to the increased leverage of 32" tires, locking it will be a recipe for disaster.

I'm not speaking of horror stories I've read on the net, only from countless d35 equipped jeeps I've helped repair and limp off the trail after they've broken.

That is the type of reply you need, ones from people who have actually experienced stuff.

Hello i am a teen boy who has a 92 jeep yj i love to wheel always have my jeep has a 4.5 inch lift with 32s and im wondering if it is worth it to put a locker in the back on the d35 or if it is a waste of time and money

I've had Eaton E-Lockers in both the back and front of my Jeep and I have the Dana 35 in the rear. I have not had any issues in the 5 years with the lockers: 3 years running 31's and 2 years running 33's. Of course, I'm only locked up when I need it, and open the rest of the time. I run into many folks with similar combinations, and they have had good luck too.

That all said, I have see people break their 35 on the trail. But it seems like those same folks break their 44s. They simply drive their Jeep much harder than I drive mine.

Good luck and have fun. You will be amazed at how much better your Jeep does off road with the locker.

I have a '97 and I am looking towards the Ox Locker for the rear. After exhaustive research, in my opinion the locker will help in off road situations. I have a 2.5l w/32" tires and I love it. With the 2.5 and D-35, I do not believe I will damage my axles. But, like anything if you abuse it, it will cost you. I do not go crazy off-road because it gets to expensive when you break stuff. I have been wheeling for over 40 years and know from experience. Like most, the money we pour into our Jeeps will never be seen again in re-sale. It is for the enjoyment we get out of wheeling. I put a winch on, because I go it alone most of the time. I have used the winch only once for my self and too many times to help others. The lockers would be a redundant insurance policy. Ray from New Jersey

Yup! everyone's right and you get to ferret out an answer. The D35's FIRST weak point is the C-clip axles just won't take larger tires and a heavy foot.

Going to a "SELECTABLE" locker as suggested above is reasonable if you can afford another $300 or so to upgrade the axles to Superior or alike(there are several companies) just watch the spline count. That leaves the case and tubes to be the other weak point, good luck with that.

So that said, if you stay with 32" tires and are easy on the skinny pedal you will be fine IMO.

There are many things you can do to make your d35 survive. You can do a little at a time. Ultimately you look at what you have done and spent and wonder if it was worth it. At my age I would swap the axle right now. At your age I would scour every place I could and buy a locker, maybe even used for my d35 and hope it survives.

Another thing to consider, the Ford 8.8 from an Exploder is very cheap, can be found with the common Jeep gear ratios and a limited slip, plus it upgrades to disc brakes. Often for the same or less than a d35 locker.

the one thing I feel everyone is missing is the D35 doesn't break unless abused. A young driver without years of experience and a locker don't mix because of that lack of experience. I don't see where you are from, but if you drive in the frost belt that lack of experience can turn deadly teal quick, ON ROAD. find a limited slip in a bone yard, and install it. Go through all the headaches of properly setting the lash since you will be changing the carrier (I'm serious) use it as a learning experience, start to finish, you will have a better jeep in the end, and since you need to pull the drums and the c clips, take the time to get the disc brake set up from a matching year Grand Cherokee, and do that conversion at the same time. You will be far ahead of those who blow money to have it done because you will learn more. And when you run in to issues down the road, you will know the driveline and bakes better than anyone else. Its how we did it "back in the day" when it wasn't about money, just sweat equity.

Lock it,weld it,whatever your budget will allow.You will go further than an open diff.Sure its going to increase the risk of breaking parts but thats all a part of going further than your buddies.

Attachments

• Picture 128.jpg
    Picture 128.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
Back