damn that metal is SOFT!!!

dingus

yesterday i was out under my jeep ('90 XJ auto transmission) looking for my transmission fluid leak... its coming from the pan... and i tried to tighten down the bolts b/c they were loose but they just stripped out in the soft metal... so now i have to drop it off at the shop tonight and let the shop replace the gasket/filter/fluid and re-tap those bolt holes and put it all back together. hopefully it'll be less than $100 like the guy on the phone said.

anyone else have this problem?[addsig]

Being kinda big and more muscle than brain, I´ve tightend many bolts beyond real tight, to real loose, on numerous occasions. Learned early to be careful of aluminum.

A couple of techniques, I´ve found that help, is using the smallest ratchet, possible and tightenening with the head of the ratchet instead of the handle. When it´s snug, an extra eighth of a turn, is enough, stop. Most times tightening beyond this, will cause the gasket to push out the sides or it will dimple the pan and crack the gasket. A squirt of brake cleaner, into the bolt holes and a dab of mild locktight or silicon gasket sealer will help keep the bolts in place and prevent them siezing in the future.

Steel and aluminum, will often react and sieze with age. A tap on the end of the bolt or nut sometimes helps loosen things up, and helps prevent removing the threads with the bolt. Cleaning the bolts with a wire brush or thread file, helps on reinstallation and little lumps of aluminum stuck to the bolts won´t mess up the threads more than they are.

Most jobs are rush or time sensitive, but a little time in the beginning, often saves a lot of time at the end.[addsig]

buy and always use a torque wrench. the cost is minimal, they're fun to use, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you're doing the job correctly.

additionally, follow the manual closely regarding thread treatment - very few threaded items are installed dry, that is without anaerobic lock (locktite), anti-seize (neverseize) etc.

aside from the hassle of missing your ride and paying cash to repair a preventable, over/under torquing may result in catastrophic failure.

for example, when i changed my springs, they required 90 ftlbs of torque. do you have any idea of how much torque that is? if they were undertorqued, or even over torqued, alignment could be affected, or a u bolt could snap. :-O

[addsig]

bad news once again boys! there's a hole in my transmission case!!! grrr..... i took a look at it, and its only the size of a dime, probably smaller. it'll hold fine with a little JB-weld! bad news is i probably won't get my jeep back till tomorrow or friday!

-nate[addsig]

i would echo bluebelle. when i installed my suspension lift i tightend everything good ans snug. i had lent a buddy my torque wrench, when he brought it back i went under the yj and checked my work . man was i way off. was not even close to proper torque. and yes 90 lbs. is more umph than you think. lesson learned, if i cant find the right spec.i use the torque wrench to remove and replace the bolt and or nut.......odax :cool: [addsig]

i have a sneaking suspicion that in their attempt to get my transmission drain pan OFF (with a hammer) they whacked this chunk out of my transmission... because its right in that kind of spot... i think i'm gonna try and call them on it. why else would it just BREAK THERE!? also, how else could it have happened where THEY STILL HAVE THE CHUNK THAT BROKE OFF!?

exasperated,
-nate

edited by: dingus, Mar 27, 2003 - 07:06 AM[addsig]

They pulled one like that on us when we had new tires put on.They gashed a wheel and rim somehow. But like always,they said it came like that. :wink: Sully[addsig]

well the jeep is back and running great! it turns out i broke that chunk off when i accidentally threaded a too-long bolt into one of the drain pan holes and it pressed up against the thing... anyways... the guys at the shop put some JB-Weld on that hole and covered it up... it should hold just fine. they also replaced my transmission filter and gasket and even tapped out and put new bolts in the 3 holes i screwed up...

final total on the bill? $260

-nate[addsig]

ok... j10... lemme get this straight... you sign up here and spam our board with useless posts, and then you go calling me a DUMASS (can't even spell!?) yet, you have no reputation here, and you have yet to introduce yourself.

get a life, and stop wasting our/my time. lemme guess, you're either too young to own a car, or you're never worked on your own. have some respect for myself and the rest of the members on this board who have the balls to work on their own cars. luckily for you, i have a reputation to keep as a moderator and can't go cursing you off... but i would.

edited by: dingus, Mar 31, 2003 - 02:14 PM[addsig]

j10, also... thank you for posting in the cherokee forum... now i can see information like this:

Users IP and Account information

User IP: 205.204.242.22
Host: 205.204.242.22

Usernames of users that posted from this IP + post counts

carriss 1 Posts
J10@Mt.EdenKy 16 Posts[addsig]

don't go blaming some thing like this on me he posted that on 1:49 pm i was at school and at that time AT SCHOOL i was in business AT SCHOOL we don't have the internet at school there are too cheap is that GOOD enough[addsig]

hey, that's cool dude... it was probably someone who found jeepz.com in the history of the computer you were using... its cool now...

IP = internet protocol... its a number (with those periods seperating) that is specific to each computer on the internet...[addsig]

Back