Dana 35 to 44 swap on my 94 YJ

OffRoadGeek

Hi, I bought a Dana 44 described as follows. "...rear axle Dana 44 out of Jeep Cherokee XJ. Some 1987-1989 Cherokees came from factory with this axle", "3.07 gears", "This Dana 44 is direct bolt-on for any Cherokee XJ. The only modification it might require, if any, is changing the length of the rear driveshaft. Shock mounts and spring perches are the same like in any other 1984-2001 Cherokee XJ. 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern and 60.5" wheel mounting surface (WMS) to WMS is also exactly the same like in Jeep Wrangler YJ and TJ and Grand Cherokee ZJ. So with few modifications (new shock, spring and Panhard rod mounts) it could be installed in any above mentioned Jeeps."

OK, the target jeep is my 94 YJ, 4.0L, 5sp, with a stock Dana 35, 3" body lift, extra leaf in springs (I think) and 3 or 4 inch shackles, 35" BFG M/T. It was recently hit hard in the rear destroying springs and shocks and maybe axle too. It is sitting in a good shop who will check frame etc. replace springs and probably the axle too. I don't have access to it, so I don't have a way to measure anything. While I was not planning to get hit, now is a good time to do the axle swap and am planning to do the axle prep outside the shop. What I don't know is, without the original axle in hand, how do I know where to move the shock and spring mounts on the 44 to fit my jeep. The shop can probably do it, but my dad was a production welder for many years and can do the job too and for free. yeah, and I think the 3.07 gears in the 44 are different than in my 35. Ideas on what I need to put in.
Any info or dimensions would be appreciated.

There's a good chance your YJ came with 3.07 gears, very common in YJ's with the 6cyl. and 5spd. Check the diff tags on the front and rear axle to be sure, it'll be the first three numbers.

You'll have to weld on spring perches to fit the D44 into your YJ, easiest thing to do is to install the axle with the perches, and attach loosely with ubolts. Set the axle position side to side, and set the proper pinion angle. Then tack weld the spring perches. Remove the ubolts to weld perches in fully.

You'll have to weld shock mounts on the tube, easily done.

Thanks for the reply Bounty_Hunter
Was hoping there was a way to know the positions for the perches and shock mounts but that was probably wishful thinking. Also thanks for the info on gears. On the gears... when you get new gears, do you get a new tag to replace the old one so the next guy knows they've been changed?

No, replacement gears to not come with diff tags, that is a manufacturer thing.

The only way to match perch and shock placement would be to pull the stock axle and match everything between the two by measuring. Otherwise you install the axle with the weight of the vehicle on the axle to align everything.

use a buddys yj to measure ? or sneak under the neighbors down the block ?

Holy shackle lift batman!!

the swap is easy, do what they said.. if you are using some type of spring based lift, I would suggest moving the shock mounts a little higher on the axle tube and go with a slightly shorter shock.

I run stock length YJ shocks on my 94 yj, I have a simple 4" lift spring under and the shock mounts are almost at the top of the axle tube. No more broken shock mounts!

Just to add, if you have 3.54's in your front axle, and 3.07 in the XJ, do not go with 3.07.. If you can find used 4cyl gears and carrier, should be straight swap for the front, and re-gear the rear to 4.11 to match

Back